How do I calculate the outward force exerted by a wedge on a rotating plate?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the outward force exerted by a wedge attached to a rotating plate. The plate has a diameter of 8 feet and the wedge has a bottom width of 20 inches and a height of 2 feet. The torque applied to the plate is 52,920 ft/lbs. The participants in the conversation also mention the need for a drawing or picture to better understand the setup and the direction of the outward force.
mcashatt
This is not a homework question! I am not a physics guru (clearly) and need help solving what I think is probably a simple calculation for someone who knows what they're doing:

I have a rotating plate with a "ramp" or wedge growing out of the perimeter of the plate. The wedge is perpendicular to the plate. The diameter of the plate is 8' so the circumference is 25.12'. For the sake of this calculation, assume that the bottom of the wedge is 20' across and the height of the wedge at the end is 2'. What I need to know is how to calculate the outward force exerted by the wedge (this would be the force perpendicular to the plate). I know the torque that I will apply (the force parallel to the plate): 52,920 ft/lbs.

Any help would make a sane man out of me.

Thanks!

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
a drawing or picture would help...

You say that the bottom of the wedge is 20 inches across, and yet you prevoiusly said that the disk was 25+ inches in diam. How do these two relate?

Is this a face cam? You talk about wanting the outward force exerted by this wedge. Is that radially outward, or is that paralled to the axis of rotation?

As dipstik said, we really need a picture.

What is a wedge?

A wedge is a simple machine that is used to push objects apart or lift heavy objects. It is made up of two inclined planes placed back to back, with a sharp edge at the intersection.

How is force calculated for a wedge?

The force exerted by a wedge is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the mechanical advantage of the wedge. The mechanical advantage of a wedge is equal to the length of the wedge divided by its width.

What is the principle behind the force calculation for a wedge?

The principle behind the force calculation for a wedge is based on the conservation of energy. The force applied to the wedge is spread over a larger surface area, allowing for a smaller force to be exerted over a longer distance.

What factors affect the force calculation for a wedge?

The mechanical advantage of a wedge is affected by the angle of the inclined planes, the length and width of the wedge, and the magnitude of the applied force. The friction between the wedge and the object being lifted can also affect the force calculation.

What are some real-world applications of force calculation for a wedge?

Wedges are commonly used in construction and manufacturing industries, such as splitting wood, lifting heavy objects, or holding objects in place. They are also used in medical procedures, such as surgical procedures and orthodontic treatments.