Calculate Force for Rotating a Cylinder: Mass and Diameter Guide

In summary, you need to calculate the cetripetal acceleration (w^2 r) and then use that to calculate the force needed to rotate the cylinder.
pitchharmonics
Given that you know the mass and diameter of a cylinder, what step do I need to take to figure out the force needed to rotate the cylinder.

All I can figure is that I multiply the mass times gravity.. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm I'm not sure but I think you need to calcuate the cetripetal acceleration which is [tex]\frac {v^2}{r}[/tex] or [tex] w^2 r[/tex] where w is omega the angular velocity.

[tex]\sum F_r = m a_r = \frac { m v^2}{r}[/tex]

Do you know the velocity and radius?

EDIT: oh you said you know the diameter so the radius is just that divided by 2. Now you need to know the velocity.

Last edited:
there's no velocity but constant acceleration exists.

I meant tangential or angular velocity... Maybe you could get those in terms of mass and radius? Isn't there any more info? Like the time is takes for the cylinder to make a full circle?

How is the cylinder positioned with respect to the axis of rotation (i.e. rotate it about what axis?)?

the cylinder is rotating counterclockwise, the axis of rotation is located at the center of the cylinder and expands out to its full diameter, I assume it is rotating about the z axis.

You know that the net torque acting on the cylinder can be expressed as follows:
[tex]\sum \tau=I\alpha[/tex]
where I is the moment of inertia of the cylinder around an axis passing through its center of mass, and alpha is angular acceleration.
So: [tex]F_{net}~r=\frac{1}{2}mr^{2}\alpha[/tex]
[tex]F_{net}=\frac{1}{2}mr\alpha[/tex]
Assuming no friction is present, the applied force is the net force. You can also convert this to include tangential acceleration rather than angular if needed.

Last edited:
Sirus has the right idea. Don't they tell you what the angular acceleration should be, though? Technically, any angular acceleration above zero will rotate the cylinder, which means any force above zero will rotate it eventually.

Moment of Inertia for various shapes can be found by integration. You can also find simplified equations for moment of inertia at various sites, such as:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/MomentofInertia.html (There's a table if you scroll down the screen).

Mutliplying the moment of inertia by the angular acceleration gives you torque. Torque is also equal to force times the radius (at least for a cylinder, technically torque is force times radius times the sine of the angle between the force vector and the radius vector - in this case, the angle is 90 degrees). So, to get the force, you need to divide the radius back out of your torque.

1. What is force calculation and why is it important?

Force calculation is the process of determining the amount of force exerted on an object. It is important because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of objects under different conditions, and is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics.

2. How do you calculate force?

The formula for force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This means that force is directly proportional to mass and acceleration, and can be calculated by multiplying the two values.

3. What units are used to measure force?

The standard unit for force is the Newton (N), named after Sir Isaac Newton. Other commonly used units include pound-force (lbf) and kilogram-force (kgf). In the International System of Units (SI), force is measured in kilograms times meters per second squared (kg x m/s²).

4. What are the different types of forces?

There are several types of forces, including gravitational force, frictional force, normal force, applied force, tension force, and spring force. Each type of force has its own unique characteristics and effects on objects.

5. How can force calculations be applied in real-life situations?

Force calculations are used in many real-life situations, such as building structures, designing vehicles, and predicting the motion of objects. They are also important in understanding natural phenomena, such as the forces involved in the movement of planets and celestial bodies.