Force Calculation for Box on Ramp

In summary, the problem involves a 25kg box being pushed up a ramp with coefficients of friction of 0.6 and 0.45. To accelerate the box at 0.5 m/s^2, a minimum force perpendicular to the box and parallel to the ramp must be applied. To continue moving up the ramp at 0.5 m/s, a minimum force in the same direction must be applied. The crate also travels along a semi-circular arc with a 20 meter radius of curvature while traveling at a steady rate of 24 km/hr. At the top of the hill, the normal force from the truck bed on the crate is of interest. To solve this problem, one can rotate the frame of reference
ktkitkat

Homework Statement

A 25kg box of bricks is to be pushed up a ramp and into the back of a pickup truck. The box-ramp system has coefficients of friction (static = 0.6, kinetic = 0.45). If the ramp is placed at 32 degrees with respect to the horizontal, draw a free body diagram to answer the following:

a)What minimum force must be applied perpendicular to the box and parallel to the ramp to cause it to begin to accelerate up the ramp at 0.5 m/s^2?
b)What minimum force must be applied perpendicular to the box and parallel to the ramp to cause it to continue to move up the ramp at 0.5 m/s?

You are traveling at a steady rate of 24 km/hr as you crest the top of a hill. As you move along the road, the crate travels along a semi-circular arc with a 20 meter radius of curvature.

c)While you are moving across the very top of the hill, what is the magnitude of the normal force from the truck bed on the crate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to draw the diagram, but I am completely unsure how to go about this. I haven't the slightest idea of what equations to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could share your free body diagram?

To simplify the problem I would rotate your frame of reference to be parallel with the ramp i.e. rotate it 32 degrees. Then use Newton's laws of motion in the direction of interest to arrive at the answer i.e. sum up all the forces in the one direction and set it equal to m*a.

1. How do you calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying mass by acceleration, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion. The equation is F=ma, where F is force in Newtons, m is mass in kilograms, and a is acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. What are the units of force?

The SI unit of force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s². Other units of force include pound-force (lbf) and dyne (dyn).

3. How do you determine the direction of force?

The direction of force is determined by the direction of acceleration. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the force, the force is considered to be positive. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the force is considered to be negative.

4. Can you give an example of a force calculation problem?

Sure! Let's say a car with a mass of 1000 kg is accelerating at a rate of 10 m/s². To calculate the force, we would use the equation F=ma. So, force = 1000 kg * 10 m/s² = 10,000 N. This means that the car is experiencing a force of 10,000 Newtons.

5. What are some real-world applications of force calculation?

Force calculation is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as designing structures, predicting the movement of objects, and understanding the motion of celestial bodies. It is also essential in fields such as physics, mechanics, and aerospace engineering.