Force - can you regulate it without storing it ?

• Thread starter aravish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, there are various ways to regulate or vary a fixed force without actually storing it. Some examples include using a lever with variable position pivot or arms for mechanical force, and using a transformer or potentiometer for voltage. By diverting the unwanted flow, energy can be regulated without being stored.
aravish
HI

Can people help me think of examples of situation in which a fixed force is regulated/varied without actually storing the force ?

for example in an inverter, voltage (i.e the force) is converted from a fixed form to a variable form with the usage of storage capacitors. in a generator, mechanical energy (the force) is converted to electrical energy, but the force is first absorbed by the rotor/stator and then converted to electricity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... I'm not sure your terminology is accurate. As far as I know, you cannot store a force, you can only exert it. Also, energy is not force. The two are entirely different concepts.

Drakkith said:
Hmmm... I'm not sure your terminology is accurate. As far as I know, you cannot store a force, you can only exert it. Also, energy is not force. The two are entirely different concepts.

good point. let me rephrase the question. Can you convert a fixed voltage (fixed force) to a variable voltage without storing energy ?

Can people help me think of examples of situation in which a fixed force is regulated/varied without actually storing the force ?

How about a lever with variable position pivot or arms?

That depends on what you mean by "storing". A transformer will convert voltage to a higher or lower amount, and isn't generally used to store energy, but in reality some energy will be stored and released in the magnetic field during operation.

In the case of mechanical force, a simple lever or gear system will do the trick.

For voltage, use a potentiometer - set up so that you have a voltage divider with a variable tap.
In general, if you don't want to store energy, you can simply divert the part of the flow you don't want.

1. What is force and how is it related to energy?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is usually measured in units of Newtons (N) and can be represented by the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of an object, and a is the acceleration. Force is related to energy through the concept of work, where work is done when a force causes an object to move. This means that force is required to store or transfer energy.

2. How is force regulated without storing it?

Force can be regulated without storing it by balancing forces. This means that if two equal and opposite forces are acting on an object, they will cancel each other out and the object will not move. This is known as equilibrium and is often used in engineering and construction to ensure that structures can withstand various forces without collapsing.

3. Can force be created or destroyed?

According to the Law of Conservation of Energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted into different forms. This means that force, as a form of energy, cannot be created or destroyed. However, it can be transformed into other forms of energy, such as thermal or electrical energy.

4. What are some examples of regulating force without storing it?

One example of regulating force without storing it is using a pulley system to lift heavy objects. The pulley redirects the force needed to lift the object, making it easier for a person to lift it without needing to store the force. Another example is using hydraulic systems, where the force from a smaller piston is multiplied to move a larger piston without the need for storing force.

5. How is force regulated in nature?

In nature, force is regulated through various mechanisms such as friction, tension, and gravity. For example, when a person walks, friction between their feet and the ground allows them to push off and move forward. Tension in muscles allows animals to move and exert force. Gravity also plays a role in regulating force, as it is the force that pulls objects towards each other, such as the Earth pulling objects towards its center.