1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force components

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a box weighing 388.5 N on an inclined plane that makes a 36.1 degree angle with the horizontal.
    compute the component of the gravatational force on the inclined plane in N

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

would you find the gravatiational component by finding the x and y components?
    Thanks for any help

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

You must show some work in order to get help. Have you drawn a diagram with all of the forces shown? Can you explain where are you stuck?

4. Oct 28, 2007 #3
    I drew a diagram, and I found the mass of the object which was 39.64 kg but i am not sure if i need that calculation. I am tring to look at how to get started so that I can solve the problem.

5. Oct 28, 2007 #4
    I hope you are familiar with vectors.

mg is perpendicular to the ground but it makes the angle of 36.1 with the inclined plane.

Hence resolve mg. The component perpendicular to the plane would be mgcos36.1 and that which is parallel to the plane would be mgsin36.1

6. Oct 28, 2007 #5
    Yea im familiar with vectors, so the the component of the gravatational force acting down on the inclined plane is the component that is perpendicular to the plane?

mgcos36.1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?