1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force components

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1
    Consider the motion of an object on the xy-plane. Show that the force whose x and y- components are respectivley Fx= (3N/m)y and Fy= 0 is not conservative.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2008 #2
    I don't think you've stated the entire problem. What you said doesn't really make much sense.

4. Jun 25, 2008 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the condition for a force to be conservative? Does this force meet that condition?

5. Jun 25, 2008 #4
    I can't make much sense of that either, however, a conservative force is a force that convserves mechanical work, so the force can not be "lost". For example gravitational force. If you have a ball and trow it down a building ( the building in physics haven in vacuum and stuff... ) and then put it back to the exact same point, the net work done by the gravitational force is 0. In consequence it does not matter if you shoot it to the moon in between, or how much other forces move it around. A non conservative force is friction for example.

6. Jun 25, 2008 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even if the question was not copied verbatim, it is perfectly well posed and makes sense to me. In any case, the question is most definitely answerable.

7. Jun 25, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is exactly the same as asking to show that the differential, 3ydx, is not an "exact" differential. Of course, then it would be a math question!

So, back to you, chem engineer. What is the definition of "conservative" force. Then how does this force NOT satisfy that definition?

8. Jun 25, 2008 #7
    Its funny you guys said this question makee no sense, its copied directly from this terrible book my professor uses.

9. Jun 25, 2008 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's funny that all of us didn't say that:
    It's also funny that you have failed to respond to our questions:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?