Force Constant given torque

In summary, to determine the force constant, k, required for the cord to produce a torque of 81 N*m in the shown position, the length of the arm and the angle between the arm and the string must be used in the torque formula. The length of the arm is 39cm and the angle is to be determined using the geometry of the pictures. Additionally, there must be a compensating force in the positive x direction to keep the hand static.
baylorbelle
You are designing exercise equiptment to operate as shown in teh figure:
Walker.11.80.jpg
where a person pulls upward on an elastic stretched length of .31m. If you would like the torque about the elbow joint to be 81 N*m in the position shown, what force constant, k, is required for the cord?

::: okay, so since this picture has so many angles, i figured the first thing to do was to break each part down into its x and y components and create two separate pictures:
: picture 1 is the arm, hypotenuse (length of arm) at 38 cm, x-axis = 38 cos (39)=10.1 cm, and y-axis = 38 sin(39)=36.6 cm.
: picture 2 is the cord, hypotenuse (length of stretched cord) 44cm, x-axis: 44cos(61)=11.4 cm, y-axis=44sin(61)=42.5cm.

I think that for the cord, it starts in potential energy of c=.5kx2 and ends in both potential and kinetic (.5mv2) energy.

I also know that torque= rF sin theta

However, I don't quite understand how I'm supposed to set it up from here. any advice on getting this one started?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must plug in the expressions to your torque formula. Use Hook's law to find [tex]F[/tex] and geometry of your pictures to find [tex]r\sin \theta[/tex].

and i use 39 rather than 61 for the theta, because the torque is measured in the arm?

Neither of these. You must use the length of arm 39cm for [tex]r[/tex] and the angle between the arm and the string for [tex]\theta[/tex]. That angle is to be determined by you, using the geometry.

It looks like there is a third force extending along the arm and away from the hand to provide a balancing force in the positive x direction. Assuming the hand is at the orgin, the force at the hand perpendicular to the arm that causes the torque has a component in the negative x direction. Likewise the force along the elastic band has a component in the negative x direction. There must be a compensating force in the positive x direction or the hand is not static. Do you have an answer so you can check your work?

Irid said:
Neither of these. You must use the length of arm 39cm for [tex]r[/tex] and the angle between the arm and the string for [tex]\theta[/tex]. That angle is to be determined by you, using the geometry.

thanks, that really helped a lot : ) i finally figured it out

1. What is meant by "Force Constant given torque?"

The force constant given torque is a physical quantity that describes the relationship between the applied torque and the resulting force on an object. It is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of an object.

2. How is the force constant given torque calculated?

The force constant given torque is calculated by dividing the applied torque by the resulting force on the object. This can be represented by the equation F = T/k, where F is the force, T is the torque, and k is the force constant.

3. What are the units of force constant given torque?

The units of force constant given torque depend on the units of torque and force used in the calculation. In the SI system, the units would be Nm/rad or N/m.

4. How does the force constant given torque affect the motion of an object?

The force constant given torque determines the stiffness of an object and therefore affects its motion. A higher force constant means the object is more resistant to changes in its position or shape, while a lower force constant allows for easier motion.

5. Can the force constant given torque be changed?

Yes, the force constant given torque can be changed by altering the physical properties of the object, such as its material or dimensions. In some cases, the force constant can also be changed by applying an external force or torque to the object.