Force Couple

• Thread starter lilbilly
  • Start date

Homework Statement

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5642/resumestuff004bm5.jpg [Broken]

A 135 N vertical force P is applied to A to the bracket shown, which is held by screws at B and C. (a) Replace P with an equivalent force couple system at B. (b) Find the two horizontal forces at B and C that are equivalent to the couple obtained in part a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I tried to find the moment of force P about the hinge and then match that moment with an opposite one by a force at point B...but I really don't know what I'm doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

We'd like to help but your diagram is unviewable.

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I think the sketch shows a 125 mm outstanding leg length, with the other leg attached with 2 screws 75 mm apart. So what did you get for the moment of Force P about point B? What must be the horizontal force magnitude and direction at point C to balance that moment? And what must be the magnitude and direction of the horizonntal force at point B?

hey guys same question, except the vertical force at p is 300N

the distance from A to the block is 180mm, B to horizontal piece of bracket is 72 mm, and 108 mm from b to c.

21297id.jpg

just read we should show our work, for a i got 54N*m, from 300*0.180m, but im not sure if this is correct
for part b, i just divided the answers by the respective distances and got 750n and 500n

Last edited:
is it possible that both B and C could have the same force of 500N?