1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Couple

1. Apr 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

A 135 N vertical force P is applied to A to the bracket shown, which is held by screws at B and C. (a) Replace P with an equivalent force couple system at B. (b) Find the two horizontal forces at B and C that are equivalent to the couple obtained in part a.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I tried to find the moment of force P about the hinge and then match that moment with an opposite one by a force at point B...but I really don't know what I'm doing.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

We'd like to help but your diagram is unviewable.

4. Apr 27, 2007 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the sketch shows a 125 mm outstanding leg length, with the other leg attached with 2 screws 75 mm apart. So what did you get for the moment of Force P about point B? What must be the horizontal force magnitude and direction at point C to balance that moment? And what must be the magnitude and direction of the horizonntal force at point B?

5. Sep 30, 2007 #4
    hey guys same question, except the vertical force at p is 300N

the distance from A to the block is 180mm, B to horizontal piece of bracket is 72 mm, and 108 mm from b to c.

[​IMG]

just read we should show our work, for a i got 54N*m, from 300*0.180m, but im not sure if this is correct
    for part b, i just divided the answers by the respective distances and got 750n and 500n

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  6. Sep 30, 2007 #5
    is it possible that both B and C could have the same force of 500N?

7. Sep 30, 2007 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?