1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Couple

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The forces shown in the Figure below form a couple. Replace the couple shown with an equivalent couple acting at points A and B. Please see figure

2. Relevant equations

Couple force moment equation is M = Fd (take only one of the two force vectors and distance between them)

3. The attempt at a solution

Actually, I don't understand what they want. I was just going to do M = 15 lb x(12in) but this question is for 6 marks so i'm definitely missing something. Please advice if you know what this question means.

Thank you,
    Faisal Shibli

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Faisal! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    The 6 marks do seem strange. :confused:

The question seems to be asking for a pair of opposite parallel forces through A and B …

which could be at any angle …

with the same Fd.

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3
    Looks to me like a badly worded and badly drawn question. My response was to have a couple at A and B with forces perpendicular to AB. I wonder if I would have passed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook