1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force due to a line charge

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 10-cm long thin glass rod is uniformly charged to +50 nC. A small plastic bead, charged to - 5.2 nC, is 4.1 cm from the center of the rod. What is the magnitude of the force on the bead?

2. Relevant equations
    dF = (k dq)/r[tex]^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've gotten to this point:

dF sin [tex]\theta[/tex] = k[tex]\lambda[/tex] * (dx/(h[tex]^{2}[/tex] + x[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]) * (h/[tex]\sqrt{h^{2} + x^{2}}[/tex])

and I understand fairly well how and why. But now I have no idea where to go from here, aside from the fact that I have to integrate at some point. I know the two halves of the rod are equivalent so I can integrate from 0 to 5 and double (right?).

What do I do? :grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not quite sure what you've done here as you haven't posted your initial steps. Furthermore, your initial equation should involve a distance element (dz), rather than a charge element (dq). The usual way to solve such problems is to consider the electric field

4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    Isn't he using the line charge concept ? I guess so : dq = pdz, where the p denotes the charge per unit of distance.

marlon

5. Feb 17, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now you mention it, yes it does :redface:. I'll go and put another coffee on...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?