Understanding Induced Charges in an External Field

In summary: Okay so I think its clear to me now. What I was stuck on was the shielding part. Big conceptual error. Thanks! :D
harsh22902
Homework Statement
In a conducting hollow sphere of inner and outer radii 5 cm and 10 cm, respectively, a point charge 1 C is placed at point A, that is 3 cm from the center C of the hollow sphere. An external uniform electric field to magnitude 20NC is also applied. Net electric force on this charge is 15 N, away from the center of the sphere as shown. Find the magnitude of net force exerted on the charge placed at point A by the induced charges on the sphere.
Relevant Equations
F=qE
Could'nt solve it

Physics news on Phys.org
BMS_V03_CA1_E01_057_Q01.png

harsh22902 said:
Could'nt solve it
According to Forum rules (item 4) you need to show some effort at solving the problem before you can receive help. Please show us what you already know about such problems, what you tried so far and how you think you might approach this question.

Likes berkeman
kuruman said:
According to Forum rules (item 4) you need to show some effort at solving the problem before you can receive help. Please show us what you already know about such problems, what you tried so far and how you think you might approach this question.
What I tried here is nothing mathematical. The charges in a cavity are sheilded from outside electric fields due to the conducting material. So what I could make out of it is that the forces acting on the charge myst be due to the induced charges on the internal cavity surface only and hence the final answer should be 15 Newtons. But it is mentioned in my textbook as 35 Newtons. Please help.

Last edited:
harsh22902 said:
What I tried here is nothing mathematical. The charges in a cavity are sheilded from outside electric fields due to the conducting material. So what I could make out of it is that the forces acting on the charge myst be due to the induced charges on the internal cavity surface only and hence the final answer should be 15 Newtons. But it is mentioned in my textbook as 35 Newtons. Please help.
What you say here appears to be correct and that's also what i was thinking but it is wrong if we think a bit more carefully. My hint for you here is this:
There are two "types" of induced charges in the metal sphere: one type are the induced charges from the induction from the point charge and the second type are the induced charges from the induction from the external E-field of 20N/C.

Delta2 said:
What you say here appears to be correct and that's also what i was thinking but it is wrong if we think a bit more carefully. My hint for you here is this:
There are two "types" of induced charges in the metal sphere: one type are the induced charges from the induction from the point charge and the second type are the induced charges from the induction from the external E-field of 20N/C.
I thought about it but what still appears confusing is how exactly will the induced charge due to the electric field exert a force on the charge within because for that we must have an idea about the distribution of induced charge(due to the field) on the outside and inside of the hollow sphere. But on searching further in some other textbook I found a solution which states that:
" External applied field's effect is neutralized by charge induced on outer surface, i.e., their combined effect is zero. Hence, force applied by induced charges on outer surface should be equal and opposite to that applied by electric field. This is equal to qE=1×20=20 N toward left. 15 N force is only due to induced charged on the inside surface of the hollow sphere. Hence, net force by induced charges is 15+20=35 N. "
Which still appears vague because here they are assuming that the external field is acting on the point charge and that is being neutralized by charge induced on the outer surface.

harsh22902 said:
Which still appears vague because here they are assuming that the external field is acting on the point charge and that is being neutralized by charge induced on the outer surface.
What exactly is vague? Yes the external field is acting on the point charge in the interior of the sphere. The shielding doesn't mean that the external field doesn't act, it means that its action is neutralized by the induced charges.

Likes harsh22902
Delta2 said:
What exactly is vague? Yes the external field is acting on the point charge in the interior of the sphere. The shielding doesn't mean that the external field doesn't act, it means that its action is neutralized by the induced charges.
Okay so I think its clear to me now. What I was stuck on was the shielding part . Big conceptual error. Thanks! :D

1. What is force due to induced charges?

Force due to induced charges is a phenomenon that occurs when an electrically neutral object is brought near a charged object. The charged object induces a separation of charges in the neutral object, resulting in a force between the two objects.

2. How does force due to induced charges relate to Coulomb's Law?

Force due to induced charges is governed by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of force due to induced charges?

The magnitude of force due to induced charges depends on the magnitude of the inducing charge, the distance between the two objects, and the dielectric constant of the medium between them.

4. Can force due to induced charges be attractive or repulsive?

Force due to induced charges can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the relative charges of the two objects. If the inducing charge has the same sign as the induced charge, the force will be repulsive, and if the signs are opposite, the force will be attractive.

5. How is force due to induced charges different from other types of forces?

Force due to induced charges is different from other types of forces because it is an indirect force that results from the interaction between two objects, rather than a direct contact force. Additionally, it is a non-contact force that can act over a distance.