Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force due to pipe bend

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    I have question that I'm sure has been asked before. Maybe if you could point me to a thread that'd be great.

The water flows steady discharging to atmosphere. I need to find the horizontal componant of force in the flanged joint & find if it's in tension or compression.

I think I have a Conservation of Momentum problem that I can't figure what I'm doing wrong. I have attached the problem. I figured that due to uniform, steady flow Q=constant so that V1A1=V2A2. So with that I plugged into the momentum flux equation.

=density of water((v2^2)(A2)(cos30)-(V1^2)(A1))+(Pressure)(A2)

If it discharges to atmosphere then I thought maybe it's Pressure(gage)(A1) instead of A2? I think I'm all over the place with this one.

Thanks for any assistance clearing the fog

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please post the exact, complete text of the question, as given to you.
  4. Sep 10, 2006 #3
    Sorry, reattached.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 11, 2006 #4
    Never mind I figured it out. Thanks anyway. I was using for my V2 the resultant vector for both V's. One is the magnitude in the dot product the other V is the vector found by the Vcos(30).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?