1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force due to pressure on side of a container

1. Sep 5, 2005 #1
    Hi gang,

I'm having an issue with one my homework problems. There is an L shaped tank, 3d in height, 1d in width. The verticle part of the L is 2d in height, and the horizontal part of the L is a 1d box. d = 8m
    _
    | |
    | |_
    |_ _|<--Force due to pressure needed for this side.

I need to find the pressure on the right wall of the horizontal part of the L. What I have managed to get so far is the equation:
    F=(rho)(g)(width)(height^2)

Not very far, I know. I'm assuming I have to integrate this somehow, but I am unsure as to how to set it up. I'm not really looking for a solution, just a push in the right direction with regards to the integration, or in the correct direction if I am very, very wrong.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

Is this a Plan view (a view from on top) or a Side view?

4. Sep 5, 2005 #3
    From the side, sorry.

5. Sep 5, 2005 #4

Fermat

Homework Helper

Ok, hang on a min.

6. Sep 5, 2005 #5

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

OK, I can explain this in general but I didn't completely follow all the dimentions you gave. From equilibrium considerations, the pressure at some depth, h is [itex]P_0+\rho gh[/itex] where [itex]P_0[/itex] is the pressure at the surface. The force at this hieght is PA where A is the area. Along the surface of the wall, the pressure is changing with the depth. At a given depth, h, the force is [itex](P_0+\rho gh)ldh[/itex] where l is the length of the wall. Now it is a matter of integrating the infinitesimal forces at each height to get the total force.

7. Sep 5, 2005 #6
    We are actually using gauge pressure, so it simplifies the formula you gave a bit. I did get the correct answer using your method, though, so thank you very much.

8. Sep 5, 2005 #7

Fermat

Homework Helper

Arrgh, too late!!

Oh, well. What LeonhardEuler said.

I enclose a small piece of work explaining how to do these types of integrals for pressure over a submerged area.

It may be useful for yourself or anyone else reading these posts.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?