1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force due to wind and rolling friction

1. Feb 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The graph shows the speed as a function of time for a minivan, coasting on neutral along a straight, level road, loaded with windsurfing equipment and towing a boat. The total mass is 2500 kg, weight= 5512lbs. Find the size of the force due to wind and rolling friction when the van speed is 44.17 mph. (1 mph=0.447m/s)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't think anyone needs to see the graph to understand my problem. Well I hope.

I understand that a= delta v/delta t. But whenever I use the equation I get an acceleration that does not work. Then I thought that since the equation wants the force at 44.17 mph, that I need to find the instantaneous acceleration.

That's my problem: I don't know how to get the instantaneous acceleration. At 44.17 mph the time is at 19 s. Should I create a derivative. If so, how do I go about it?

The answer for this problem is 764 N

Please tell me why my approach is incorrect.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2007 #2

That's right, calculate the instantaneous acceleration by finding the derivative of the graph at the given time. You must be able to find a way to do that (draw a tangtent).

Good luck!
  4. Feb 27, 2007 #3
    da_willem, that is my problem. I do not know how to find the derivative of the graph. If I am given a derivative, I can do it; but to look at a graph and create one I just don't know.
  5. Mar 2, 2007 #4
    In the graph you draw a line tangential to a point where you want to know the derivative (a 'tangent line'). The derivative in that point is now the 'slope' of this line, i.e. a vertical interval ([itex] \Delta v[/tex]) divided by a corresponding horizontal interval ([itex] \Delta t[/tex]): ([itex] \Delta v /\Delta t[/tex]).
  6. Mar 6, 2007 #5
    I got it now. Thank you da_willem
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?