Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Elevator Problem!

1. Oct 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Your mass is 65 kg. You stand on a bathroom scale in an elevator on Earth.

(a) What force would the scale exert when the elevator moves up at a constant speed?

(b) What force would the scale exert when it slows at 2.1 m/s2 while moving upward?

(c) What force would the scale exert when it speeds up at 2.1 m/s2 wile moving downward?

(d) What force would the scale exert when it moves downward at a constant speed?

(e) What force would the scale exert when it slows to a stop at a constant magnitude of acceleration?

2. Relevant equations
    f=ma
    fg=mg
    fnet=mAnet
    Ff=μῦFn

3. The attempt at a solution
    I honestly have no idea what to do with all these Y forces going everywhere..Can someone walk me through the process of solving this problem?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw free body diagrams. There are 2 forces acting on the person, the person's weight, acting down, and the normal (scale) force acting up. Use Newton's laws F_net = ma when accelerating. At constant speeed or at rest, F_net =0 (no acceleration, per newton 1). Please show an attempt .

4. Oct 13, 2010 #3
    I found (a), (c), and (d), but I can't find (b). Here is my attempt at solving it:

mAnet = -Fn + Fg
    mAnet - Fg = -Fn
    65(-2.1) - 65(9.81) = -Fn
    774.15 = Fn

Help?

5. Oct 13, 2010 #4
    I also don't understand how to find (e)..

6. Oct 13, 2010 #5
    Okay after working on this, I've solved it. Thanks anyways!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?