Eq: Find Location of q3 for Net Force = 0

• Thread starter leon1127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem involves three point charges arranged along the x-axis, with q_1=-4.05 nC located at x_1=0.195 m, q_2=2.80 nC at x_2=-0.340 m, and a positive charge q_3 located at the origin. The goal is to find the location of q_3 on the x-axis where the net force on it is zero, not including the trivial solutions of x=\pm \infty. Using the formula \frac{4.05*q_3}{(-0.34-x)^2}=\frac{-2.8*q_3}{(0.195+x)^2}, it can be determined that q
leon1127
Three point charges are arranged along the x-axis. Charge q_1=−4.05 nC is located at x_1 = 0.195 m, and charge q_2 = 2.80 nC is at x_2=−0.340 m A positive point charge q_3 is located at the origin.Where along the x-axis can q_3 be placed and the net force on it be zero, other than the trivial answers of x= \pm \infty?
Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
show some work.

how do you think it should be solved?

[tex]\frac{4.05* q_3}{(-0.34-x)^2} =\frac{-2.8 * q_3}{(0.195+x)^2} [\tex]

I don't know why it doesn't work

Last edited:
may anyone?

draw the diagram:

|------x2-----------------------x----------------x1----------|

if x is some value, then to find the distance, you have to use the distances as (x-x2) and (x1-x)

how do you know if x will land in the interval between [tex] q_1 and q_2 [\tex]
the problem i get is when i assume the q3 will at equalibrium, x become imaginary when i take the square root

2.8/x^2 == -4.05 / (0.535+x)^2

i have shifted the system to the right. Then the negative sign became PAIN under the square root

Last edited:
crap.

i'm sorry, i didn't read the question carefully enough. as far as i can tell, it has to be either left of q_2 or right of q_1. just from eyeballing the figure, it looks like it will be to the left of q_2 because the smaller repelling charge needs to be closer to cancel out the larger attracting charge.

nvm i got it.
Thank you everyone

1. What is "Eq" in the equation?

"Eq" stands for "equilibrium," meaning that the equation is for finding the location of q3 when the net force on the system is equal to zero.

2. How is the location of q3 determined?

The location of q3 is determined by using the equation for net force = 0, which takes into account the charges and distances of all particles in the system. By setting the net force equal to zero and solving for the location of q3, we can determine where the particle must be located for the net force to be balanced.

3. What does it mean when the net force on a system is equal to zero?

When the net force on a system is equal to zero, it means that all of the forces acting on the system are balanced and cancel each other out. This results in no overall movement or acceleration of the system.

4. Can this equation be used for any number of charges?

Yes, this equation can be used for any number of charges in the system. However, the more charges there are, the more complex the equation becomes and the more difficult it is to solve for the location of q3.

5. Is this equation applicable to all situations?

No, this equation is specifically used for finding the location of q3 when the net force on the system is equal to zero. It may not be applicable to other situations where the net force is not zero.