1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force exerted by a laser

1. Apr 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A target is hit by a laser pulse. The frequency of the pulse is in the visible spectrum, it has duration ##5\times 10^{−15}## s and it contains approximately ##10^{19}## photons. Estimate the force exerted by the pulse on the target, given the pulse is completely absorbed by the target.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think a reasonable wavelength in the visible spectrum would be ##550##nm. I can calculate the total energy of the photons that hit the target by using ##E = \frac{hc}{\lambda}## and then multiplying by ##10^{19}##. I get ##3.6\times 10^{-19}##J, and don't know where to go from there.

Alternatively I suppose I could use force = change in momentum / change in time. Then I'd use ##p = \hbar k## where ##k = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda}##. If that's the correct approach, to get the total change in momentum I just multiply the momentum expression by ##10^{19}##, right?

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

That will give you the total momentum. You'll then have to convert it to a force.

4. Apr 19, 2017 #3
    By dividing the total momentum by the duration of the pulse?

5. Apr 19, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

6. Apr 20, 2017 #5
    Brilliant, thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted