Force exerted by laser beam

In summary: NIn summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation F=(del)p/(del)t to calculate the change in momentum. It is explained that in part b, the change in momentum is 2pi because if the photon is reflected, its momentum must be transferred twice - once when it stops and again when it fires away from the surface. In part c, the correct units for force are explained as kg-m/s2 or N. The equation is used to calculate the force, with Δp/Δt representing the rate of change of momentum with time.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 7.58.27 PM.png

Homework Equations

F=(del)p/(del)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to do part a, but on part b I don't understand why the change in momentum is 2pi. I originally did the problem by just subbing (del)p with h/lambda. Why is it 2pi?
Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 7.52.28 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 7.52.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 7.52.28 PM.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 942
Physics news on Phys.org
If the photon was absorbed then its momentum is simply transferred to the surface but if it is reflected then twice that amount of momentum must be transferred because it both comes to a stop (=absorbed) and then fires away from the surface with the opposite momentum it arrived with.

jwinter said:
If the photon was absorbed then its momentum is simply transferred to the surface but if it is reflected then twice that amount of momentum must be transferred because it both comes to a stop (=absorbed) and then fires away from the surface with the opposite momentum it arrived with.
Ohhhhh ok, that makes sense now. I am confused on part c now. Is part c correct here? It doesn't make sense looking at the units. I don't really see how those units cancel to get you an answer in Newtons. I know I have to use F=(del)p/(del)t, but what is (del) t? It's not given and I'm not sure how to find it. That's how I was trying to do it.

The units are correct. Newtons are just a short and useful name for kg-m/s2. Think about the force due to gravity F=ma. There you have force = mass (kg) times acceleration (m/s2).

Δp/Δt is simply the rate of change of momentum with time, or if you like ∂p/∂t or p'(t).

So the force is the rate at which momentum is changing - which in your case is simply
photon arrival rate (N/sec) * momentum transferred by each (kg-m/s) => kg-m/s2

What is the force exerted by a laser beam?

The force exerted by a laser beam is the amount of pressure or push that the laser beam applies on an object. This force is typically measured in Newtons (N) and is a result of the transfer of momentum from the photons in the laser beam to the object.

How is the force exerted by a laser beam calculated?

The force exerted by a laser beam can be calculated using the formula F = P/c, where F is the force, P is the power of the laser beam, and c is the speed of light. This formula is derived from the relationship between force and momentum, where force is equal to the change in momentum per unit time.

Does the force exerted by a laser beam vary with the color or wavelength of the laser?

Yes, the force exerted by a laser beam can vary with the color or wavelength of the laser. This is because different colors or wavelengths of light have different energies, and the force exerted by a laser beam is directly related to its energy. Therefore, a higher energy laser beam will exert a greater force than a lower energy laser beam.

What factors can affect the force exerted by a laser beam?

The force exerted by a laser beam can be affected by several factors, including the power and wavelength of the laser, the distance between the laser and the object, and the properties of the object (such as its reflectivity and surface texture). Additionally, the angle of incidence and the duration of exposure to the laser can also impact the force exerted on an object.

How is the force exerted by a laser beam used in scientific research or applications?

The force exerted by a laser beam is used in various scientific research and applications, such as in laser trapping and manipulation of microscopic particles, laser cutting and welding, and laser propulsion systems for spacecraft. It is also used in fields such as optomechanics, where the interaction between light and mechanical systems is studied. Additionally, the force exerted by a laser beam is used in laser spectroscopy techniques to study the properties of materials at a molecular level.