Fluid Force Direction on Airfoil: Compressor vs. Turbine Design

In summary, the direction of the force exerted by the fluid to the airfoil depends on the design of the airfoil for either a compressor or a turbine. In the first case, if the airfoil is designed for a compressor, the force will move downward, while if it is designed for a turbine, the force will move upward. In the second case, if the airfoil is designed for a compressor, the force will move upward, while if it is designed for a turbine, the force will move downward. The z direction may change depending on the design, but it is unclear from the given figures.
krnhseya

Homework Statement

Find the direction of the force exerted by the fluid to the airfoil.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that's the forces direction (x is horizontal and z is vertical) for 2 cases. In case I am dealing with either the compressor or turbine, will the solutions change?

I know that:
-If case 1 is designed for the compressor, it will move downward and if case 1 is designed for the turbine, it will move upward.
-If case 2 is designed for the compressor, it will move upward and if case 2 is designed for the turbine, it will move downward.

I am guessing my directions (forces exerted by the fluid on the airfoil/blade) stay the same.

Are my directions right in those 2 cases? Thank you.

Attachments

• Case1.jpg
    Case1.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 417
  • Case2.jpg
    Case2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
the first case is right i think but i didn't understand the second case completely the given figures are not clear

dineshnaveen said:
the first case is right i think but i didn't understand the second case completely the given figures are not clear

It's exactly the same except the pressure side and suction side reversed. I'd guess that the z direction has to change but then I am not so sure that first case is even right.

1. What is meant by "force exerted by the fluid"?

The force exerted by a fluid refers to the amount of pressure or push that the fluid applies on a surface or object it comes into contact with.

2. How is the force exerted by a fluid measured?

The force exerted by a fluid is measured in units of force, such as Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs), using specialized equipment such as pressure gauges or flow meters.

3. What factors affect the force exerted by a fluid?

The force exerted by a fluid can be affected by several factors including the density of the fluid, the velocity of the fluid, and the surface area of the object the fluid is in contact with.

4. How does the direction of fluid flow impact the force exerted?

The direction of fluid flow can impact the force exerted in two ways. If the fluid is flowing perpendicular to an object, it will create a force known as lift. If the fluid is flowing parallel to an object, it will create a force known as drag.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding force exerted by a fluid?

Understanding the force exerted by a fluid is crucial in various fields such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and engineering. It is also important in everyday life, for example, in designing efficient water and gas pipelines, or in predicting the impact of wind on structures.