1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force exerted by the fluid

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the direction of the force exerted by the fluid to the airfoil.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that's the forces direction (x is horizontal and z is vertical) for 2 cases. In case I am dealing with either the compressor or turbine, will the solutions change?

I know that:
    -If case 1 is designed for the compressor, it will move downward and if case 1 is designed for the turbine, it will move upward.
    -If case 2 is designed for the compressor, it will move upward and if case 2 is designed for the turbine, it will move downward.

I am guessing my directions (forces exerted by the fluid on the airfoil/blade) stay the same.

Are my directions right in those 2 cases? Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2
    the first case is right i think but i didn't understand the second case completely the given figures are not clear

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    It's exactly the same except the pressure side and suction side reversed. I'd guess that the z direction has to change but then I am not so sure that first case is even right.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook