Force exerted to stop falling object

In summary, the conversation involves a problem where a 50.0 kg diver steps off a 12.0 m high diving board and drops into the water, coming to rest 5.0 m below the surface. The question is to determine the average resistance force exerted on the diver by the water. One person used kinematic equations to find the velocity and time for the diver to decelerate, and then calculated the resistance force by multiplying the acceleration by the diver's weight. However, their online homework is telling them this is wrong. Another person suggests using the change in kinetic energy and work done to find the force, and also points out that there may be other forces acting on the diver.
splinter
Having trouble with this problem:

3. [SFHS99 5.P.37.] A 50.0 kg diver steps off a 12.0 m high diving board and drops straight down into the water. If the diver comes to rest 5.0 m below the surface of the water, determine the average resistance force exerted on the diver by the water.

Seems to me like a simple kinematic problem, so I used kinematic equations to find the Vf when it hits the water (15.32m/s), then used that as a new Vi to find the time it took to decelerate from Vi to 0 in 5 meters. (.653 sec) I then used that time to find a (de)acceleration rate for the diver, for which I got
(-)23.46 m/s^2. I then simple multiplied that by the diver's weight to get a resistence force, which was (-)1173 N. However, my online homework is telling me this is wrong! Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know her change in kinetic energy. (0 - 1/2mvf^2) It is equal to the work done (negative in this case) on her body from the surface of the water to 5.0m below. If I tell you the work done on an object and the distance through which it was done, what can you tell me about the force acting on the object across that displacement? Assuming the force is constant, or taking it to be the average force?

With the method you used...how did you calculate the time it took to slow to a stop underwater if you didn't know the acceleration in the first place?

ok, so I used -1/2mVf^2 to find the work done on the divers body, and got -5867.6 J. Then, since W = Fd, I divided the work done by the distance over which it was done, and got -1173.5 N. Tried both positive and negative of that, but online homework is still telling me its wrong!

Btw to find the time it took to slow to a stop, i used the kinematic equation Xf = Xi + 1/2(Vf+Vi)t

Last edited:
splinter said:
Seems to me like a simple kinematic problem, so I used kinematic equations to find the Vf when it hits the water (15.32m/s), then used that as a new Vi to find the time it took to decelerate from Vi to 0 in 5 meters. (.653 sec) I then used that time to find a (de)acceleration rate for the diver, for which I got
(-)23.46 m/s^2. I then simple multiplied that by the diver's weight to get a resistence force, which was (-)1173 N. However, my online homework is telling me this is wrong! Any tips?
Multiplying the mass (not weight!) by the acceleration gives you the total force on the diver. Hint: The resistance force exerted by the water is not the only force on the diver.

1. What is the force exerted to stop a falling object?

The force exerted to stop a falling object is called the stopping force. It is the force that must be applied to an object to bring it to a complete stop.

2. How is the stopping force calculated?

The stopping force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the falling object by its acceleration due to gravity. This can be written as F = m x g, where F is the stopping force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth).

3. Does the shape or size of the falling object affect the stopping force?

Yes, the shape and size of an object can affect the stopping force. Objects with larger surface areas or irregular shapes may experience greater air resistance, which can increase the stopping force needed to bring them to a complete stop.

4. Is the stopping force the same for all falling objects?

No, the stopping force can vary depending on the mass and surface area of the falling object, as well as the medium through which it is falling. Objects falling through air will experience more air resistance than objects falling through a vacuum, resulting in a different stopping force.

5. How can the stopping force be reduced?

The stopping force can be reduced by increasing the time it takes for the object to come to a stop. This can be achieved by increasing the distance over which the object stops, such as by using a parachute or air resistance devices. Additionally, reducing the mass or surface area of the falling object can also decrease the stopping force.