Force exerted via collision

In summary: You made a mistake when subtracting the j-components for the impulse. If you notice, it's equal for both the final and initial momenta so the change in the j-direction is zero.
roam

Homework Statement

A 100 g snooker ball with speed 50 cm/s strikes a cushion at an angle of 45° and bounces back off the same speed and angle. If the ball is in contact with the cushion for 0.05 s, what is the average force exerted by the cushion on the ball?

The Attempt at a Solution

I get final momentum=initial momentum because the angle, mass and the speed are the same before and after.

[tex]p_i=(0.1)(0.5 cos 45) = p_f[/tex]

The change in momentum is 0.

So, the impulse is equal to [tex]I=\Delta \vec{p}[/tex]. To find the force I think we can use the formula

[tex]\vec{I}=\sum \vec{F} \Delta t[/tex]

But how can I find force when the change in momentum is zero? Is there something wrong with my strategy or did I make some mistakes?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to approach these questions systematically
ie.
Vi=50cm/s* cos45i+50cm/s* sin45j
vf=-50cm/s*cos45+50cm/s* sin45j
j=pf-pi
=0.5cos45i*2*100i+0.5cos45*2*100j as cos 45=sin 45
=0.0707i+0.0707j
J=0.1=Ft
F=0.05/0.1
F=0.5N

Did you understand the other momentum problem from before??

pat666 said:
You need to approach these questions systematically
ie.
Vi=50cm/s* cos45i+50cm/s* sin45j
vf=-50cm/s*cos45+50cm/s* sin45j
j=pf-pi
=0.5cos45i*2*100i+0.5cos45*2*100j as cos 45=sin 45
=0.0707i+0.0707j
J=0.1=Ft
F=0.05/0.1
F=0.5N

Did you understand the other momentum problem from before??
I think you made a mistake when subtracting the initial and final momenta

whys that what answer did you get? the plus is there as its a double negative

pat666 said:
whys that what answer did you get? the plus is there as its a double negative
you made a mistake when subtracting the j-components for the impulse. If you notice, it's equal for both the final and initial momenta so the change in the j-direction is zero.

yep your right,,,, . that's my bad sorry but the basic principals are still right. agree??

pat666 said:
yep your right,,,, . that's my bad sorry but the basic principals are still right. agree??

Yes, that's right.

What is force exerted via collision?

Force exerted via collision refers to the physical impact or push that one object experiences when it collides with another object. This force can cause an object to speed up, slow down, or change direction.

How is force exerted via collision calculated?

The force exerted via collision can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to the collision. This formula follows Newton's second law of motion.

What factors affect the force exerted via collision?

The force exerted via collision can be affected by several factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of the objects involved in the collision. The elasticity or stiffness of the objects also plays a role in determining the force exerted.

How does the direction of force exerted via collision impact the objects involved?

The direction of the force exerted via collision can determine how the objects involved will move after the collision. If the force is applied in the same direction as the object's movement, it will speed up. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, it will slow down or come to a stop.

How is force exerted via collision important in real-world applications?

Understanding force exerted via collision is crucial in various fields such as engineering, automotive safety, and sports. It helps in designing and improving safety features in vehicles, predicting and minimizing damage in accidents, and optimizing performance in sports activities.