Coulomb's Law: Calculating Force on Charged Particles

So we can't find the force, only the magnitude of the force.In summary, the problem involves two charged particles, A and B, with a distance of 13.7 mm between them. Particle A exerts a force of 2.62 micro Newtons to the right on particle B. When particle B moves away from A, the distance between them becomes 17.7 mm. To find the vector force exerted by particle B on A, Coulomb's Law is used, which states that F = k q1 q2 / r^2. However, we do not have enough information to solve for the individual charges, so we can only find the magnitude of the force.
tag16

Homework Statement

A charged particle A exerts a force of 2.62 micro Newtons to the right on charged particle B when the particles are 13.7 mm apart. Particle B moves straight away from A to make the distance between them 17.7 mm. What vector force does it exert on A?

using coulombs law: (8.99x10^9)(2.62x10^-6)^2/(1.77x10^-2)^2

did I set this up right? if not what did I do wrong?

Homework Equations

coulombs law: F=k q1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(8.99x10^9)(2.62x10^-6)^2/(1.77x10^-2)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
tag16 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

(8.99x10^9)(2.62x10^-6)^2/(1.77x10^-2)^2

We don't know that the charges are 2.62 μC. The 2.62x10^-6 refers to the force, in Newtons.

You're correcting in using the equation,

F = k q1 q2 / r2

We don't know q1 or q2 here.

Yes, you have set up the equation correctly. However, it is important to note that Coulomb's law only applies to point charges, so it may not accurately describe the behavior of the charged particles in this scenario. Additionally, the units for force should be Newtons, not micro Newtons. Overall, your approach is correct and you have set up the equation properly.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the force between charged particles calculated?

The force between charged particles can be calculated using the equation: F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where F is the electrostatic force, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of force in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of force in Coulomb's Law is Newtons (N), which is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. How does the distance between charged particles affect the force between them?

The force between charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases.

5. What is the significance of Coulomb's constant in Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's constant, also known as the electrostatic constant, is a proportionality constant that relates the strength of the electrostatic force to the charges and distance between the particles. Its value is determined experimentally and is essential in calculating the force between charged particles.