1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force field integration

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    A force field is maintained around point O, a particle with mass m is experiencing a force F in the force field. F as a function of the particle's distance from O is: F = cos(d/5) How does one go about looking for the final velocity of the particle if it began at rest at a negligible distance away from point O?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Calculate the work done on the particle by the force in moving it to distance d away from O. Then find the velocity at which the mass has that kinetic energy.

4. Oct 26, 2015 #3
    Absolutely. That is the way to go. The only question I have is, what exactly does the statement of the problem mean by the word, "negligible distance".?

5. Oct 26, 2015 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In practice it means you can use zero as the lower limit for your integration. I expect the reason they said 'negligible distance' rather than 'start at O' is that usually when forces are symmetrically arranged around a point it's because there's a particle at that point, and two particles can't occupy the same point in classical phycics.

6. Oct 26, 2015 #5
    Ah! So the particle is moving effectively from 0 to d?

7. Oct 26, 2015 #6

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I think that is the intent of the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook