Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force field integration

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    A force field is maintained around point O, a particle with mass m is experiencing a force F in the force field. F as a function of the particle's distance from O is: F = cos(d/5) How does one go about looking for the final velocity of the particle if it began at rest at a negligible distance away from point O?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Calculate the work done on the particle by the force in moving it to distance d away from O. Then find the velocity at which the mass has that kinetic energy.

4. Oct 26, 2015 #3
    Absolutely. That is the way to go. The only question I have is, what exactly does the statement of the problem mean by the word, "negligible distance".?

5. Oct 26, 2015 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In practice it means you can use zero as the lower limit for your integration. I expect the reason they said 'negligible distance' rather than 'start at O' is that usually when forces are symmetrically arranged around a point it's because there's a particle at that point, and two particles can't occupy the same point in classical phycics.

6. Oct 26, 2015 #5
    Ah! So the particle is moving effectively from 0 to d?

7. Oct 26, 2015 #6

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I think that is the intent of the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook