1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Formula - Question

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does the force formula ##F=m χ 10\frac{N}{kg}## which means ##F=G##, apply for bodies on rest or motion?

2. Relevant equations
    ##F=G=m χ 10\frac{N}{kg}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think it only applies for bodies in rest.

I'm waiting an answer , thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The formula W = mg gives you the weight of a mass m, regardless of whether it's at rest or in motion.

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3
    Weight is G, not W.., anyways I wasn't asking about other formulas, i was asking about my formula ##F=mχ10\frac{N}{kg}##

5. Feb 13, 2012 #4

Doc Al

:rolleyes:
    Where did you get that formula? It sure looks like 'mg' to me, which is weight. Seems like you're using g = 10 m/s^2.

6. Feb 13, 2012 #5
    I see you don't know that formula,we use that to find the Pushing force or weight of a body using the mass, which i think that the body is in rest. For example if we have a body with mass 2g, then the weight would be:

##G=mχ10\frac{N}{kg}=\frac{2}{1000}kg χ 10\frac{N}{kg} = \frac{200}{1000}N##(btw. kilogram and kilogram get simplified )

What I wanted to ask is if that formula applies also if the body is in motion

7. Feb 13, 2012 #6
    No ! Doc Al got you correct. Your formula is nothing but of weight which is mass times gravity.

F=mg

Newton per kg in your unit gives you gravitational pull..

1 N/kg = 1 m/s2

You are assuming gravity in your formula to be 10 m/s2.

So you state that weight = mg = m*10 N/kg
    OR
    weight = m*10 m/s2
    Of course , I guess everyone here know that kg and kg gets simplified..:rolleyes:

Your formula is nothing but simple mg where you substituted for g by 10 metre per second squared.

Edit : Of course this formula applies when body is in motion. Doc Al already stated that in previous posts.

8. Feb 13, 2012 #7
    So, the gravity is not always ##10\frac{N}{kg}##, then why is the Weight/Force formula
    ##F=mχ10\frac{N}{kg}##

9. Feb 13, 2012 #8

Doc Al

That formula applies near the earth's surface.

10. Feb 13, 2012 #9
    Thank you very much, I am new on physics, I am only on the first grade so , I need to learn more :) Thanks@!

11. Feb 13, 2012 #10
    Anyways, can the body near the earth surface be in motion and in rest aswell, or only in rest or only in motion?
    ----------------------
    Would...:
    ##1\frac{N}{kg}=1\frac{m}{s^2}## because :
    ##1\frac{N}{kg}=1\frac{m}{s^2}=1\frac{kg\frac{m}{s^2}}{kg}=1\frac{m}{s^2}##kg and kg get simplified ##=1\frac{m}{s^2}=1\frac{m}{s^2}##

12. Feb 13, 2012 #11

Doc Al

I don't know what you mean. A rock (for example) can be in motion or at rest. (Not at the same time within the same reference frame, of course.)

Sure, those units are equivalent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook