Find Force from Collision of 3 Billiard Balls

In summary, the problem involves finding the average force acting on ball 1 during a collision with ball 2 and ball 3. Using the formula for average force as change in momentum over change in time, the average force is found to be -18N. The direction of this force is opposite to the direction of the force exerted by ball 1 on ball 2. Vectors can also be used to represent the forces involved in the collision.
bob7

Homework Statement

Three billiard balls are placed at rest on a level surface. Each ball has a mass of .15 Kilograms. If Ball 1 (m1) has an initial velocity of 10m/s towards ball 2 (m2), and after the glancing collision ball 1 (m1) moves 3m/s towards ball 3 (m3). Find the average force acting on ball 1 (m1) during the collision if that collision lasts for .025 seconds?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to use the formula Vf=Vi+at. And then maybe use [tex]\sum[/tex]F=ma to get the force. I am having trouble grasping the vector idea of the problem and combining them. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You use momentum. Average force is equal to change in momentum over change in time.

Do I have to worry about vectors with that equation? What would the equation look like exactly? Thanks so much!

Yes, you have to worry about vectors, momentum and force are vectors. The equation is just as I described it (final momentum-initial momentum)/(final time-initial time).

so if I use the formula i get: ((.15*3)-(.15*10))/.025 which gives me 42. But I think this is wrong because of the vectors. I am really confused on how to do this problem with the vectors. Thanks.

bob7 said:
so if I use the formula i get: ((.15*3)-(.15*10))/.025 which gives me 42. But I think this is wrong because of the vectors. I am really confused on how to do this problem with the vectors. Thanks.

Ok, forget about the vectors. They don't give you enough information to determine the vectors. But concentrate on ball 2. It's initially at rest. What's the initial momentum? After the collision it's moving at 3m/sec. What's the magnitude of the final momentum? Take the difference of the two and divide by time.

Ok, the initial mementum of ball 2 is zero. its final momentum is .15*3=.45. Then divide that by time. .45/.025= 18. Would this be that average force that is acting on ball 1 that the problem is looking for? I also know the initial positions of the balls on an xy plane. Ball 1=(-30,0)cm. Ball 2=(0,16)cm. Ball 3=(42,-10)cm. Thanks.

You are still basically using F = ma, the accelerartion is found by a = (v - u) /t

bob7 said:
Ok, the initial mementum of ball 2 is zero. its final momentum is .15*3=.45. Then divide that by time. .45/.025= 18. Would this be that average force that is acting on ball 1 that the problem is looking for? I also know the initial positions of the balls on an xy plane. Ball 1=(-30,0)cm. Ball 2=(0,16)cm. Ball 3=(42,-10)cm. Thanks.

That's the MAGNITUDE of the average force. If you know the positions of the balls, then you do know enough to find the direction as well. Do you need it? If so then repeat the calculation with vectors. The initial momentum is still (0,0) and the final momentum has magnitude .15*3 and is directed along the vector connecting ball 2 with ball 3.

So if 18 is the magnitude of the average force between the two balls, how would I then calculate just the average force acting on ball 1?

Use units. It's not '18', it's 18N. You computed the force ball 1 exerts on ball 2. If you want to find the force ball 2 exerts on ball 1 you might want to look at Newton's third law.

So the final answer is -18N. Thanks so much. Sorry that it took me so long to understand.

How would I include vectors in my answer to make it correct?

bob7 said:
So the final answer is -18N. Thanks so much. Sorry that it took me so long to understand.

If you going to put signs on the force, then you need to describe it's direction. I guess here the minus just means opposite to the direction of the other force. You may be expected to provide vectors.

1. How do you calculate the force from a collision of 3 billiard balls?

The force from a collision of 3 billiard balls can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. First, calculate the initial momentum and kinetic energy of the 3 balls before the collision. Then, using the principle of conservation of momentum, calculate the final momentum of the balls after the collision. Finally, use the principle of conservation of energy to calculate the final kinetic energy of the balls. The difference between the initial and final kinetic energy is the work done by the collision, which can be used to calculate the force.

2. What factors affect the force of a collision between 3 billiard balls?

The force of a collision between 3 billiard balls can be affected by several factors such as the masses of the balls, their initial velocities, the angle of collision, and the elasticity of the balls. The greater the masses and initial velocities of the balls, the greater the force of the collision. A head-on collision with a perpendicular angle will result in a greater force compared to a glancing collision. The elasticity of the balls also plays a role, as a more elastic collision will result in a greater force compared to an inelastic collision.

3. How is the direction of the force determined in a collision of 3 billiard balls?

The direction of the force in a collision of 3 billiard balls is determined by the angle of collision and the direction of the initial velocities of the balls. In a head-on collision with a perpendicular angle, the force will be in the opposite direction of the initial velocities of the balls. In a glancing collision, the force will be at an angle to the initial velocities of the balls.

4. Can the force of a collision between 3 billiard balls be negative?

Yes, the force of a collision between 3 billiard balls can be negative. This can occur in an elastic collision, where the final velocities of the balls are in the opposite direction of their initial velocities. In this case, the force will be in the opposite direction of the initial velocities, resulting in a negative value.

5. How is the force from a collision of 3 billiard balls related to the change in momentum?

The force from a collision of 3 billiard balls is directly related to the change in momentum. This is described by the impulse-momentum theorem, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to the change in momentum of that object over a given time interval. In a collision of 3 billiard balls, the greater the change in momentum, the greater the force exerted by the collision.