Finding Net Force and Position of Equilibrium for Moving Object

In summary, an object with mass m moves along the x axis with its position as a function of time given by X(t)= At- Bt^2 + Ct^3, where A, B, and C are constants. The net force acting on the object can be expressed as F(t)= m(6t- 20). When A= 2m/s, B= 10m/s^2, and C= 1m/s^3, the net force is 0 at a position of -67.3m and a velocity of -31m/s. The distance and displacement traveled by the object can be determined by examining the path it takes.
~christina~
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An object with mass m moves along the x axis. It's position as a function of time is given by

X(t)= At- Bt^2 + Ct^3

A,B,C are constants

a) find expression for the net force acting on the object as a function of time.

b) let A= 2m/s, B= 10m/s^2, and C= 1m/s^3

c) at what position is the net force 0?

d) Sketch graphs of the velocity and force vs time...

Homework Equations

F=ma

The equation given

The Attempt at a Solution

a) eqzn for the net force acting on the object as a function of time...

I have not a clue...is it I find the acceleration equation and then go and say m= constant so it doesn't matter?

x(t)=Ct^3 -Bt^2 + At

v(t)= x'(t)= 3Ct^2-2Bt +A

a(t)= v'(t)= 6Ct- 2B ==> is this it but how do I add m??

I assume since m is a constant so only thing changing is a, Am I correct?

b) when net force = 0
plugged in the numbers

x(t)= t^3 - 10t^2 + 2t

a(t)= 6Ct- 2B

a(t) 6t- 20
when is the force 0?? isn't it when accleration= 0?? and time is..

0= 6t-20
20/6= t

t= 3.33s

c) value of velocity when net force = 0

v(t)= x'(t)= 3Ct^2-2Bt +A

v(t)= 3t^2 - 20t + 2

t= 3.33 when net force = 0

plugging in..

v(3.33)= 3(3.33)^2- 20(3.33) + 2

v= -31 m/s

Is this alright?

Physics news on Phys.org
part a) F=ma so multiply m with the expression of a(t) to get force as a function of t
the rest seems ok

what?
how would I multiply that into the a??
I just can't get my mind around to it...lets see

F= ma
a(t)= v'(t)= 6Ct- 2B

F(t)= m(6t- 20)

F(t)= 6tm- 20m ?

How can this part be wrong but the other parts okay?
wouldn't I get points taken off if the equation I was using didn't include the m for mass?
I would think so..

you are confusing me with your question(s)...
You were asked to find F(t) given m and x(t) so as u have done, calculate a(t) then
F(t)=m a(t)
in part b) m cancels out anyway since it doesn't depend on t and so won't be affected by whether m is there or not, likewise for the subsequent parts.. except may be the graphing bit which you have not shown here anyway.

~christina~ said:
what?
how would I multiply that into the a??
I just can't get my mind around to it...lets see

F= ma
a(t)= v'(t)= 6Ct- 2B

F(t)= m(6t- 20)

F(t)= 6tm- 20m ?
That's all there is to it.

How can this part be wrong but the other parts okay?
Because it didn't ask for the force, but position and time where force was zero, which is where the acceleration is zero.

In part c, weren't you supposed to find position?

I forgot to find position...:rolleyes:

well since t= 3.33 s is when the force = 0

x(t)= t^3 - 10t^2 + 2t

so

x(3.33)= 3.33^3 - 10(3.33)^2 + 2(3.33)= -67.3m

but wait..why is distance negative...I calculated it twice..

how would the m cancel out in the
F(t)= 6tm - 20m??

when you plug in t would'nt you still have ..m?

Thank You :smile:

~christina~ said:
but wait..why is distance negative...I calculated it twice..

The distance is not negative, its position is negative.

The distance traveled will be positive even though the position is negative at the moment the acceleration is zero.

Don't confuse the total distance traveled (the displacement) with an objects position.

distance vs displacement

stewartcs said:
Don't confuse the total distance traveled (the displacement) with an objects position.
Just to nitpick on terminology a bit: I would say that the displacement (which is -67.3m, according to her calculations) does give you the final position (with respect to the starting point). Displacement is a vector describing change in position, whereas distance is a scalar representing the cumulative "ground" you've covered.

But your point remains. While "distance" traveled cannot be negative, the position (and displacement) certainly can.

I would have to say that you are indeed correct Doc Al, the displacement may certainly be negaitve. I should not have used displacement there, but rather distance.

Thanks for pointing that out.

So the distance = 67.3m
but the displacement= -67.3m

Is this..what you people were saying?
If it is then I get it.

~christina~ said:
So the distance = 67.3m
but the displacement= -67.3m

Is this..what you people were saying?
If it is then I get it.

Not necessarily. For example, if an object moves from position 0 m to position 300 m, and from position 300 m to a final position -290 m, the total displacement is -290 but the total distance traveled is certainly not +290. The total distance traveled would be 890

Last edited:
mdk31 said:
Not necessarily. For example, If an object moves from position 0 m to position 300 m, and from position 300 m to a final position -290 m, the total displacement is -290 but the total distance traveled is certainly not +290. The total distance traveled would be 890

so the displacement is just d= -67.3m but I don't know the distance? or do I?

Doc Al said:
To add to what mdk31 already explained, you might want to read this: Distance and Displacement

Thanks for the link

Hm..it explained vectors and scalars and displacement and distance however if it was just an equation like this problem was..I don't exactly have a picture of what is happening...

Last edited:
~christina~ said:
so the displacement is just d= -67.3m but I don't know the distance? or do I?
Since you have the position as a function of time, you can figure out the distance traveled between any two times. You'd have to examine the path it takes. (Make your own picture.) For example, at T = 0, the particle is at X = 0 and has a velocity of 2 m/s. Figure out how far it gets before it turns around, and just add up all the distance segments between each turn around point.

Not as simple as finding the final position, but you can do it.

um..I don't think I need to find it for this problem so I'll work on my other ones first..however I ever need to find the distance traveled I know just what to do.

Thanks for explaining that :smile:

1. What is force from differentiation?

Force from differentiation is a concept in physics that describes how forces arise from the rate of change of a physical quantity, such as position, time, or temperature.

2. How does force from differentiation relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Force from differentiation is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, particularly the second law which states that force is equal to the rate of change of momentum. In other words, force can be thought of as the derivative of momentum with respect to time.

3. Can you give an example of force from differentiation in action?

One example of force from differentiation is when an object is accelerating due to a constant force. In this case, the force can be calculated by taking the derivative of the object's momentum over time.

4. How is force from differentiation used in real-world applications?

Force from differentiation is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in engineering to design structures that can withstand different forces, in meteorology to study atmospheric changes, and in economics to understand the impact of market forces on businesses and economies.

5. Is force from differentiation always constant?

No, force from differentiation is not always constant. It can vary depending on the rate of change of the physical quantity, and in some cases, can be zero if there is no change in the quantity. For example, if an object is at rest, the force from differentiation would be zero as there is no change in its position or velocity.