1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force from potential equation

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle is trapped in a potential well described by U(x)= 1.8 x²-b where U is in joules, x is in meters, and b = 4.5 J.

Find the force on the particle when it's at x = 2.8m
    Find the force on the particle when it's at x = 0 m
    Find the force on the particle when it's at x = -1.4 m.

2. Relevant equations

F(x) = -dU(x) / dx

3. The attempt at a solution

so I just differentiated U(x), slapped a negative sign, and ended up with F(x) = 3.6x

Plugged in 2.8m, ended up with -10.08, and it ain't right. Any ideas why? I'm thinking it might have to do with the phrase "potential well".

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2
    Never mind :blushing:

F(x) = U(x) / x

edit: (never mind)² by using this, part B came out correct, (the answer would be zero), but it doesn't make sense. By plugging zero in there, you're dividing by zero, which is ILLEGAL. so i guess im back here for help, lol.

edit: (never mind)³ /sigh the way i had it originally was correct, but online I put in the wrong number of significant figures. oh well.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook