Force Fx exerted on a particle

In summary, the homework statement showed the force Fx exerted on a particle that moves along the x-axis. The graph of the potential energy as a function of position x from 0m to 1.1m was shown. The equations were used to calculate the force and the work done. The force at 0.5 is 2 and the work done is 4x. The integral of the force is 2x2. The final equation was used to graph the PE from x=1 to x=1.1. The force is zero at x=1 and the PE is zero.
voko said:
In #19: ## U(x) = - \int_0^{0.5} a(x) dx - \int_{0.5}^x b(x) dx , \ 0.5 \le x < 1##.

In #30, you found what ## \int_{0.5}^x b(x) dx ## is. You still need to compute ## \int_0^{0.5} a(x) dx ## (which is the area of a triangle, as HallsofIvy remarked), and you need to mind the signs when plug all this into the formula for ##U(x)##.

okay so..
from taking the integral of a and b I got
2x^2 -2x^2+4x+k +1/2-2-k

then U = 4x+5/2

I think I did it wrong again...:(

Physics news on Phys.org
bestchemist said:
okay so..
from taking the integral of a and b I got
2x^2 -2x^2+4x+k +1/2-2-k

then U = 4x+5/2

I think I did it wrong again...:(

You computed indefinite integrals correctly. But the formula needs definite integrals, and it is important to use correct limits, which you mostly ignore, except in #30, where you did use them - correctly.

And you need to mind the signs. Potential energy is defined with a minus sign, which, unfortunately for you, makes things more confusing than they already are. But you are on the right track, so don't give up just yet.

voko said:
You computed indefinite integrals correctly. But the formula needs definite integrals, and it is important to use correct limits, which you mostly ignore, except in #30, where you did use them - correctly.

And you need to mind the signs. Potential energy is defined with a minus sign, which, unfortunately for you, makes things more confusing than they already are. But you are on the right track, so don't give up just yet.

so...

-2x^2 - ((-2x^2 +4x+k)]x - (-2x^2 +4x-k)}0.5)

does this look right??

bestchemist said:
so...

-2x^2 - ((-2x^2 +4x+k)]x - (-2x^2 +4x-k)}0.5)

does this look right??

Almost. The first term should have been ## -2x^2 |_{0}^{0.5}## - see the difference?

voko said:
Almost. The first term should have been ## -2x^2 |_{0}^{0.5}## - see the difference?

ohhh... yep I see it now... I didn't look at the limit like you said...
does the first term is -1/2 then since -2x^2 ]0.5 = -1/2

how about from x -1 to 1 then... how will the function become constant since there are so many variable here

bestchemist said:
ohhh... yep I see it now... I didn't look at the limit like you said...
does the first term is -1/2 then since -2x^2 ]0.5 = -1/2

Correct. So what is the complete formula for ## 0.5 \le x < 1 ##?

how about from x -1 to 1 then... how will the function become constant since there are so many variable here

You mean "x > 1"?

You got the general formula in #20. Use it, paying attention to the limits and signs.

voko said:
Correct. So what is the complete formula for ## 0.5 \le x < 1 ##?

You mean "x > 1"?

You got the general formula in #20. Use it, paying attention to the limits and signs.

okay... so If I did it right

U = 2x^2 -4x-2

and for x >1
I did the calculation and I'm so sure about it lol

U = -1

right?

bestchemist said:
okay... so If I did it right

U = 2x^2 -4x-2

Not quite. The "-2" in the end is wrong. I think you got lost in the signs, check them.

An easy way to check whether you formula is correct: the potential energy is smooth, so the value at 0.5 must be the same calculated from either x < 0.5 or x > 0.5. Approaching from x < 0.5, the value is ##-2x^2 = -0.5##; approaching it from x > 0.5, your formula gives ## 2x^2 - 4x - 2 = -3.5##, so it must be wrong.

and for x >1
I did the calculation and I'm so sure about it lol

U = -1

right?

Yes!

Note that this is the (negative) area of the entire force triangle, just like it should be.

voko said:
Not quite. The "-2" in the end is wrong. I think you got lost in the signs, check them.

An easy way to check whether you formula is correct: the potential energy is smooth, so the value at 0.5 must be the same calculated from either x < 0.5 or x > 0.5. Approaching from x < 0.5, the value is ##-2x^2 = -0.5##; approaching it from x > 0.5, your formula gives ## 2x^2 - 4x - 2 = -3.5##, so it must be wrong.

Yes!

Note that this is the (negative) area of the entire force triangle, just like it should be.

okie, so
U = -2x^2 -4x +2
right?
If x = 0.5, then U = -2(0.5)^2 -4(0.5)+2
U=-0.5

bestchemist said:
okie, so
U = -2x^2 -4x +2
right?

Sorry, no. The formula is ## - \int_0^{0.5} 4x dx - \int_{0.5}^x (4 - 4x) dx ##, so this is ## - \text{some number} + 2x^2 - 4x + \text{some other number}##. Note that it is ##2x^2##, not ##-2x^2##.

voko said:
Sorry, no. The formula is ## - \int_0^{0.5} 4x dx - \int_{0.5}^x (4 - 4x) dx ##, so this is ## - \text{some number} + 2x^2 - 4x + \text{some other number}##. Note that it is ##2x^2##, not ##-2x^2##.

I think I got it... lol

U = 2x^2 -6x +2

x = 0.5

U = 2(0.5)^2 -6(0.5)+2
U =-0.5

Right?

Per #45, there must be -4x, not +6x.

voko said:
Per #45, there must be -4x, not +6x.

I think I got it for real this time... lol sooo much confident lol

U = 2x^2 -4x +1

Right?

Right!

Likes 1 person
voko said:
Right!

yayyyyyyyyyyyy...
After a few days on this one problem... Finally got it lol
Thank you so much!

bestchemist said:
Sooo
∫F= 0
so U = 0x +k
so U =1?
looks good. Remember the check I mentioned, U at x = 1.1 is the Area under the force-displacement curve between x= 0 and x = 1.1. But you still need to graph it as the problem asks.