Solving for Moving a 100kg Box on a Ramp | Static and Kinetic Friction

• Thread starter skittlez411
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the person can move the box without assistance if they get a running start at the ramp. If they stop on the ramp, they will be able to move the box again.
skittlez411
force! help me please =)

Homework Statement

It's moving day and you need to push a 100kg box up a 20 degree ramp into the truck. The coefficients of friction for the box on the ramp are Us=0.9 and Uk=0.6. Your largest pushing force is 1000N. Can you get the box into the truck without assistance if you get a running start at the ramp? If you stop on the ramp, will you be able to get the box moving again?

Homework Equations

Fk=Ukmg
F=mgsin20

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Fk=(0.6)(100)(9.8)
=588N

F=mgsin20
=335N

yes, my maximum pushing force is 1000N. 335N<1000N

b) Fs=Usmg
=882N

Yes. I will be able to get the box moving again because I have enough force to overcome the static force.

thank you!o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
skittlez411 said:
Fk=Ukmg
Careful here! Fk = Uk N, where N is the normal force. Since the mass is on an incline, the normal force is not just mg.

ok... so i got

a) Fk=ukmgsin20
= 201.11 N

so if i get a running start i would be able to move the box up w/o assistance.

b) Fs= Usmgsin20
= 301.66 N

If i stop at the ramp, i will be able to get the box moving agian.. 301.66N<1000N

is that it? thanks!

N is mgcos 20:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

pcdagr8 said:
N is mgcos 20:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

can i ask why? i thought it's sine...:blushing:

N is normal reaction ,component of gravity perpendicular to the surface
when you are taking the component of gravity parallel to the surface as mgsin20
how are you missing out that perpendicular component will be mg cos20
just draw a free body diagram and resolve the forces...

hmmm... i still don't quite get it. i know how sine and cosine are. but i don't quite get the diagram... sorry!

well...i can't help u with this.i don't have any software to make a diagram for you...may be someone else can help...

ok thanks austronuc and pcdagr8! i get that part now!

a) Fk=Ukmgcos20
= 552.5N

b) Fs=Usmgcos20
=828.8N

so this is what i have right now.

good job:wink:

yay! i got it? thanks!

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between objects, causing a change in their motion or shape.

What are the different types of force?

There are four fundamental forces in nature: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Other types of force include friction, tension, and applied force.

How is force measured?

Force is measured in units of newtons (N). One newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a net external force.

How does force affect an object's motion?

Force can cause an object to change its motion in three ways: by changing its speed, direction, or both. The larger the force, the greater the change in motion.