1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force in a function of angle

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    Hello!

I've been doing some excercises in mechanics and stopped for a moment over the thing that sometimes bothers me. I have a set of particles of masses M and m, M>m. If I have force acting on m particle as a function of angle:

F=(Mmg(1+cos[itex]\alpha[/itex]))/(M+m)

(m is moving in on the surface of a verticle circle of radius R, powered by the falling M particle, both particles are connected by a string)

is there a way to determine the velocity of particle in a point described by coordinates ([itex]\alpha[/itex];R)? If force was in funtction of time, that would be obvious, but what about the function of the coordinate?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Hmm, your force looks strange. However, if you know F(alpha), you can determine a potential and get v(alpha) via energy conservation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook