Understanding Why Force Along X-Axis is Different

• Thread starter werson tan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the velocity along the x-axis is determined by 12cos60 - 12 because the forces acting on it, the pseudo force and the inlet force, add up to these values in the positive direction. The notes may be incorrect as they seem to have included the inlet force twice in their calculation. The correct approach would be to add 12cos60 and 12 since they are both directed to the right.
werson tan

Homework Statement

why for the force along the x -axis , the velocity is 12 cos 60 -12 ? why not 12cos60 12 , since they are in the same direction

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 0910.PNG
    0910.PNG
    27 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
Since what are in the same direction?

Suraj M said:
Since what are in the same direction?
as wecan see , they are moving to the right

There are 3 there
Please specify what you mean by “they”

werson tan said:
as wecan see , they are moving to the right
velocity along the x direction . (circled part)

That's not what I meant
I meant which force the one due to outflow through A or B or the inflow. Of the 3 which 2 are you referring to?

Suraj M said:
That's not what I meant
I meant which force the one due to outflow through A or B or the inflow. Of the 3 which 2 are you referring to?
I want to ask A and the inlet first

Then yes the pseudo force(cos component) and the inlet would add up

Suraj M said:
Then yes the pseudo force(cos component) and the inlet would add up
so , the notes is wrong ? the velocity should add up ?

I'm trying to get my head around the fact that they've taken force due to the inlet twice.

Suraj M said:
I'm trying to get my head around the fact that they've taken force due to the inlet twice.
what do yo you mean ? we want to find the resultant force , right ? So , the correct approach would be 12cos60 + 12 , right ? since they are both directed to the right

I'm not an expert in this but I do agree with you.

1. Why is the force along the X-axis different from other directions?

The force along the X-axis is different because it is directly influenced by any objects or forces acting in that direction. This means that any forces acting on an object along the X-axis will have a direct impact on its motion and velocity.

2. How does understanding the force along the X-axis impact scientific research?

Understanding the force along the X-axis is crucial in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics. It allows researchers to accurately predict the motion and behavior of objects in a particular direction, which is essential for many experiments and studies.

3. What are some real-world applications of understanding the force along the X-axis?

Some real-world applications of understanding the force along the X-axis include designing and building structures, analyzing the movement of objects in sports, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles in physics experiments.

4. How can one measure the force along the X-axis?

The force along the X-axis can be measured using various instruments such as force gauges, force sensors, or strain gauges. These instruments can accurately measure the amount of force acting in a particular direction.

5. Can the force along the X-axis be negative?

Yes, the force along the X-axis can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the X-axis, which can result in a decrease in the object's velocity or even a change in its direction of motion.