What is the force required to release the lock on the water storage window?

In summary: The hinge is located at the bottom of the window. Its purpose is to create a balance between the torque from the water and the torque from the lock.
Smartornot
Force in water storage, please help!

[PLAIN]http://img13.imageshack.us/i/storageo.jpg/Hey!

I am dealing with a an old construction/physics assignment and really need some help.

The assignment is as follows:

To make sure that a waterstorage is not flooded, one of the walls have a window with the measures (metres): width x hight = b x h = 3 x 3

In the lower part of the window, there is a lock built in. This lock is unlocked and releases the water when the waterlevel reached height d.

The assignment is to calculate the force RA (kN), that arises when the water level reaches the height d. This force is the force that "tells" the lock to release and to let water push out of the storage. Water has the "weight" 10 kN/m^3.

My start of the solution: The force that pushes from the water is q= Yv*x. According to Newton's third law, RB and RA are the same size as q. If b*h= 9, this would mean that q is = 9 * 10 = 90 kN.

But I have a feeling this is wrong because I need to implement the x somehow. Can someone please help? I really need help with this and would be grateful for any reply!

Please see the attached picture below to get a better idea.

http://img13.imageshack.us/i/storageo.jpg/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Smartornot said:
The assignment is to calculate the force RA (kN), that arises when the water level reaches the height d. This force is the force that "tells" the lock to release and to let water push out of the storage. Water has the "weight" 10 kN/m^3.
If I understand the problem correctly, you want to calculate the force on the lock (that's RA). Hint: That force must exert a torque on the window to balance the torque due to the water on the window. Figure out the torque exerted by the water.
My start of the solution: The force that pushes from the water is q= Yv*x. According to Newton's third law, RB and RA are the same size as q. If b*h= 9, this would mean that q is = 9 * 10 = 90 kN.
I don't understand this. (Explain your notation, for one thing.)
But I have a feeling this is wrong because I need to implement the x somehow.
Sure. The water pressure increases with x, so the lower part of the window feels a greater force per area than the top part--and an even greater torque.

Thank you for your reply. I have calculated the force on the window by using an integral. How does the force of the water on the window relate to RA? Is it the same force? Would really appreciate an answer.

Smartornot said:
I have calculated the force on the window by using an integral. How does the force of the water on the window relate to RA? Is it the same force? Would really appreciate an answer.
Since the window is in equilibrium, the force from the water must equal the sum of RA and RB.

To find RA alone, consider the torque about hinge B. (Use a slightly different integral to get the torque due to the water, instead of just the force due to the water.)

Sorry, my mother tongue isn't english. I thought torque was the same as force. I googled and it's what I call the "moment of force". Torque = force x the perpendicular distance.

But in my initial integral, I feel that I have already taken the distance into consideration, please see formula:

http://img823.imageshack.us/i/integralstorage.png/

How does this integral need to be changed in order for it to be torque due to the water?

I know I need to study moment of force more, and I will, but this assignment is due soon ... thanks for your help!

Smartornot said:
I thought torque was the same as force. I googled and it's what I call the "moment of force". Torque = force x the perpendicular distance.
Right. Torque and force are related, but different.
But in my initial integral, I feel that I have already taken the distance into consideration, please see formula:

http://img823.imageshack.us/i/integralstorage.png/
Yes, to find the total force you took distance into consideration. But your integral is for total force, dF = ρx bdx. (I assume that ρx is the pressure and that bdx is the area. If ρ is the mass density, then the pressure should be ρgx.)
How does this integral need to be changed in order for it to be torque due to the water?
You need the torque, which is "distance from hinge"*dF. Express that distance in terms of x, multiply, and integrate.

You'll then compare that to the torque from RA about the hinge. That will allow you to solve for RA.

Aha I am starting to understand the procedure, but i don't understand what the hinge is, where is it located?

Smartornot said:
Aha I am starting to understand the procedure, but i don't understand what the hinge is, where is it located?
At the top of the window, at point B. Think of the window as a door, hinged at the top. There's a lock at point A holding it shut. But if the force there is too much, the lock releases and the window opens.

1. What is the definition of force in water storage?

Force in water storage refers to the amount of pressure or push exerted by the weight of water on the walls, base, and any other structures in a water storage system.

2. How does force in water storage affect the structural integrity of a water storage tank?

The force in water storage can put stress on the walls and base of a water storage tank, which can lead to structural damage if the tank is not designed to withstand this force. It is important to consider the force of the water when designing and constructing a water storage system.

3. What factors affect the force in water storage?

The force in water storage is affected by the volume of water stored, the depth of the water, and the shape and size of the storage tank. The force also increases with the height of the water column and can be influenced by external factors such as wind and seismic activity.

4. How is force in water storage measured?

The force in water storage is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2). This can be calculated by multiplying the density of water (approximately 1000 kg/m^3) by the height of the water column and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

5. How can the force in water storage be managed and controlled?

The force in water storage can be managed and controlled by designing and constructing a sturdy and well-supported water storage tank, as well as regularly inspecting and maintaining the tank to ensure its structural integrity. Additionally, measures such as installing vents and overflow systems can help to relieve excess force in the tank during times of heavy rainfall or high water levels.