Force on Point Charge (B) in Conductor Cavity

In summary, an arbitrary charge inside a metal cavity will not feel any electric field due to induced charge. Can you prove this is right?
sspitz
Suppose there is a cavity inside a conductor. Outside the conductor there is a point charge (A). E inside the cavity is zero because the field from the conductor and point charge cancel. That I believe.

Suppose I add a point charge (B) inside the cavity. Obviously, there is a radial field inside the cavity from the point charge (B). But won't the point charge (B) also mess up the distribution of charge on the surfaces of the conductor? Couldn't this new distribution produce a force on the point charge (B)?

My book treats as trivial that the force on B must be zero. I don't see it. Maybe an argument about the uniqueness of the potential function...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your book probably assumes the charge B is a "test" charge, small enough to not perturb the system. The idea is probably that the metal shell "shields" any outside fields.

Alas, no. It is definitely a charge of arbitrary Q for both A and B. I think in the specific example, A is at the center of a spherical cavity, but not centered in the conductor. Not sure if that matters and why or why not.

Have you figured it out? I'm curious. I think you can ignore the charge A, so that an arbitrary charge inside a metal cavity will not feel any electric field due to induced charge. Can you prove this is right?

Well, you definitely can't ignore B because it must affect the distribution of charge on the conductor. Maybe you can prove the new distribution still exerts no force on B.

I find it bizarre that ch. 3 of an intro EM book would have this problem and no explanation.

I have no rigorous proof that F on B is zero, but here is my best guess for B at the center of a spherical cavity.

Replace B with a very small conductor. The big conductor and B are equipotentials. One possible solution for the potential is the potential of a simple radial field from B to the surface of the cavity. Since the potential must be unique, this is the potential, and the field is radial in the limit as B becomes a point charge.

I don't even believe this argument, and I wrote it. I'm sure there is some very simple solution. I would appreciate someone pointing it out. Thanks.

1. What is the force on a point charge (B) placed inside a conductor cavity (C)?

The force on a point charge (B) placed inside a conductor cavity (C) is zero. This is because the electric field inside a conductor is zero, and the force on a point charge is given by the product of the electric field and the charge.

2. How does the shape of the conductor cavity affect the force on the point charge?

The shape of the conductor cavity does not affect the force on the point charge, as long as the point charge is placed inside the cavity and not in contact with the conductor walls. This is because the electric field inside a conductor is independent of its shape.

3. Does the size of the point charge (B) affect the force on it inside the conductor cavity (C)?

Yes, the size of the point charge does affect the force on it inside the conductor cavity. The force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge, so a larger point charge will experience a greater force than a smaller charge inside the same conductor cavity.

4. What other factors besides the point charge and conductor cavity affect the force on the charge?

The force on the point charge inside the conductor cavity is also affected by the charge distribution on the cavity walls. If the walls have a non-uniform charge distribution, it can create an electric field inside the cavity that can exert a force on the point charge.

5. Can the force on the point charge inside a conductor cavity ever be non-zero?

No, the force on the point charge inside a conductor cavity will always be zero as long as the charge is not in contact with the cavity walls. This is because the electric field inside a conductor is zero, and the force on a point charge is given by the product of the electric field and the charge.