How Long Does It Take for a T-Rex Torso to Come to Rest After Falling?

• Thread starter miglo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the estimated net force and mass of a Tyrannosaurus rex's torso if it were to trip and fall, as well as the magnitude of its upward acceleration and the time it would take for the torso to come to rest upon hitting the ground. The equations F=ma, V=V_0+at, and V^2=(V_0)^2+2a(x-x_0) are mentioned and there is some confusion about which acceleration value to use for the second part of the question. It is clarified that the acceleration while in contact with the ground should be used, not the acceleration while falling.
miglo

Homework Statement

Paleontologists estimate that if a Tyrannosaurus rex were to trip and fall, it would have experienced a net force of approximately 261,500 N acting on its torso when it hit the ground. Assume the torso has a mass of 3800 kg.

Find the magnitude of the torso's upward acceleration as it comes to rest. (For comparison, humans lose consciousness with an acceleration of about 7g.)

Assuming the torso is in free fall for a distance 1.40 m as it falls to the ground, how much time is required for the torso to come to rest once it contacts the ground?

Homework Equations

F=ma
V=V_0+at
V^2=(V_0)^2+2a(x-x_0)

i figured out the first part, but I am having trouble with finding the time required for the torso to come to rest once it contacts the ground. from the first part of the question i got a=59m/s^2, am i supposed to use this value for acceleration in the second question or should i use a=-9.81m/s^2, also i tried getting initial velocity but i kept getting the square root of a negative number so i know I am wayy off

Physics news on Phys.org
Your acceleration value for the first part appears incorrect. You have factored in the dinosaur's torso's weight, but the net force is already given.
For part 2, you need to use the acceleration while in contact with the ground to solve for the impact time, not the acceleration value while falling to the ground. You can first use the kinematic equation you chose to solve fopr V, taking down as the positive direction to avoid the sq rt of a negative, but in this case, the acceleration is the free fall value.

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be written as the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to determine the sum of all the forces acting on an object. This can be done by adding together all the individual forces, taking into account their direction (positive or negative), and using the equation Fnet = ΣF, where Fnet is the net force and ΣF is the sum of all the forces.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction. This means that velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

4. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. This means that an object's velocity can either increase or decrease if it is accelerating, depending on the direction of the acceleration. If an object is accelerating in the same direction as its velocity, it will speed up. If an object is accelerating in the opposite direction of its velocity, it will slow down.

5. How do you use kinematic equations to solve problems?

Kinematic equations are a set of formulas that can be used to solve problems involving motion. These equations involve variables such as displacement, time, initial velocity, final velocity, and acceleration. By plugging in known values and using algebra to solve for the unknown variable, you can find the solution to the problem.