1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force/Kinematics Problems

1. Jan 10, 2010 #1
    Hey everyone. Struggling a little bit with a force test I have tomorrow. I've tried a few problems, and don't even know where to begin on another. I have the answers, and I would like to see if they are correct. Thank you so much!

1. An object of mass 70 kg is accelerated by a net force of 20 N. What is its acceleration?

My answer is .286 N

2. A speedboat has a mass of 5.0 x 103 kg. It starts from rest and travels 2.0 x 102 m in 6.0 seconds. The boat undergoes uniform acceleration during the 6.0 seconds. What is the net force on the boat?

My answer is 55,550 N

3. A 75 kg girl traveling at a constant velocity on ice skates suddenly experiences an acceleration of -4 m/s2. What is the sum of the forces acting on her?

My answer is (HAH!). I don't even know where to begin. Any tips?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2010 #2
    This looks correct.

I don't think this is correct. Calculate the acceleration then use with Newton's second law (F = ma) to solve for the net force.

HINT: Vf = Vi + at

Hmmm... Sum of the forces acting on her... I think you've got to use Newtons 2nd law. ;)

4. Jan 10, 2010 #3
    So for #2 if I were to do:

Vf=Vi+at
    200=0+a6
    200=6a
    a=33.33333

Then: F=ma
    F=5000(33.333)
    F= 166,667 N

Right?

5. Jan 10, 2010 #4
    Looks okay to me! Now try number 3!

6. Jan 10, 2010 #5
    And for the latter,

F=ma
    F=75(-4)
    sumF= -300

Yay?

7. Jan 10, 2010 #6
    Correct! You don't need to write sumF =, because when you write F = ma you're already implying that:

[tex]\sum F = ma[/tex]

8. Jan 10, 2010 #7
    Awesome. Thanks so much for the help! One last one possibly?

A brick has a mass of 1.2 kg. A force of 5.4 N just begins to move the brick along the floor with a constant velocity. What is the coefficient of static friction?

So I would use f=μn

5.4=μ*11.76

μ=0.46

Would that be right? Thanks so much for your help!

9. Jan 10, 2010 #8
    Correct! Another key observation I want to bring to your attention is that when you have an object moving at constant velocity then,

[tex]\sum F = 0[/tex]

Why's that you ask? Well remember, with constant velocity acceleration is simply 0. Applying Newtons second law,

[tex]\sum F = ma = m(0) = 0[/tex]

10. Jan 10, 2010 #9
    Oh. That makes sense! Thanks so much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook