1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Force measured

1. Mar 9, 2016 #1
    I am not a student of Physics just a retired electronics tech who is interested so I am not sure what prefix this should be under.
    I have some questions about the F=MA equation...
    1. If there are two bricks pushed against each other so an equal amount of pressure is applied, I have Mass in each brick with no Acceleration, but Force is still being felt. How is the acceleration variable addressed?
    2. If deceleration is reduction in rate of change that increases the time over distance and inversely acceleration shortens time over distance, then how is the equation effected? Should the equation actually read F=M(λV) ?
    These are actually precursor questions that I have for a question involving Force and Gravity measurement.

Sorry if these are rudimentary and I appreciate any positive answers or comments. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2016 #2
    1. The acceleration times mass is the NET force. If all the forces cancel out, then there is no acceleration.
    2. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Could you rephrase this?

4. Mar 9, 2016 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The net force is zero, as the two equal forces in opposite directions cancel out

But you still have pressure there
    have a look at this snippet I found and see if it helps ...

Dave

5. Mar 9, 2016 #4
    So since force and mass are still measurable, but with force opposed and equal and the acceleration is actually what is cancelled out. OK, that works for me on that one.

On number 2 sorry if this one is confusing. F=MA seems to be focused on acceleration being the rate of change in velocity, but deceleration is has a rate of change that is inverse to acceleration. Is there another equation that works with deceleration? F=MD ? Or should F=M(λV) be the actual equation to account for rate of change in velocity?

6. Mar 9, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you cannot just use the term force
    The NET force is zero because the equal and opposite forces cancel out

consider it the same thing of one brick was a wall and you were pushing against the wall directly with your hand or another object ( your brick)
    The forces will be equal and opposite

D

7. Mar 9, 2016 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Deceleration just has a negative value for acceleration.

8. Mar 10, 2016 #7
    OK, so I'm going to chew on that for a bit because I can easily see force with a negative value when it is in a vector function providing direction, but a little different when force is a function of time. Gonna have to play with some equations for a bit. Thanks all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted