Pin A & C: Why No Y Component in Solution Manual?

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities and differences between pins A and C, with the main focus on the vertical component at joint C. It is noted that both pins are capable of taking forces in both the vertical and horizontal directions, but in this specific problem, there is no vertical force at joint C. The conversation also prompts for further investigation into the behavior of truss members with forces applied at joints and suggests that for there to be a vertical component of reaction at C, member CD would have to be inclined rather than horizontal.
fayan77

Homework Statement

Pin A and C are the same, however in the solution manual it shows that C does not have a y component. Why is that?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 6.8.png
    6.8.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org
fayan77 said:
Pin A and C are the same
They are not.

How would the beam at C transfer a vertical component?

they are tho, they look exactly the same. why is it that c does not provide a vertical force?

fayan77 said:
they are tho, they look exactly the same. why is it that c does not provide a vertical force?
They are both pinned joints capable of taking forces in both the vertical and horizontal direction, but in this problem, no vertical force exists at C. You should attempt to answer the question asked by @mfb. What do you know about truss members with forces applied at joints?

Likes mfb
In order for there to be a vertical component of reaction at C, member CD would have to be inclined rather than horizontal..

1. Why is there no Y component in the solution manual for Pin A & C?

The Y component is not included in the solution manual because it is not relevant to the problem. The problem may only involve the X and Z components, so the solution manual only shows the equations and solutions for those components.

2. Is it a mistake that the Y component is missing from the solution manual?

No, it is not a mistake. The solution manual is designed to show the solutions for the components that are relevant to the problem. If the Y component is not involved in the problem, it will not be included in the solution manual.

3. How can I solve for the Y component if it is not in the solution manual?

If you need to solve for the Y component, you can use the same principles and equations used for the X and Z components. You can also consult other resources or ask for assistance from a tutor or professor.

4. Are there any cases where the Y component would be relevant to the problem in Pin A & C?

Yes, there may be cases where the Y component is relevant to the problem. It depends on the specific scenario and what is being analyzed. However, in the specific problem of Pin A & C, the Y component is not relevant.

5. Will I lose points on my exam if I do not include the Y component in my solution for Pin A & C?

It depends on the instructions and expectations of your exam. If the problem specifically asks for the Y component to be included, then you may lose points if you do not include it. However, if the problem only asks for the X and Z components, then you will not lose points for not including the Y component in your solution.