Measuring Force/Impulse for Football Helmets Collisions

In summary, the conversation involves the search for equipment to measure force or impulse during collisions in a project involving football helmets. An accelerometer is suggested as the most suitable device for measuring acceleration, which can then be used to calculate force. The conversation also includes a link to purchase an accelerometer and mentions the possibility of using one from Pitsco.
Gersty
I'm looking for a way to measure force or impulse during collisions. I'm working on a project involving football helmets and collisions since it's in the news and was looking for suggestions regarding easily obtainable equipment I can possibly use to measure force or impulse during various collisions that I could then verify using calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. Thats what I figured, and I actually did lay my hands on one from Pitsco. I'll have to check it out and see if it's robust enough.

1. How is force measured in football helmet collisions?

Force is typically measured using accelerometers, which are small devices that measure acceleration. These devices are placed inside the helmet and can measure the force of impact during a collision. Some helmets also have sensors built into them that can measure force.

2. What is an impulse and why is it important in measuring helmet collisions?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a period of time. In football helmet collisions, impulse is important because it can help determine the severity of the impact and the potential for injury. A higher impulse means a greater force was applied to the head, which can increase the risk of concussion or other head injuries.

3. How do scientists determine the safety of a football helmet based on force and impulse measurements?

Scientists use force and impulse measurements to analyze the impact of the helmet during collisions and compare it to safety standards set by organizations such as the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE). If the measurements fall within the safety standards, the helmet is considered safe for use.

4. Are there any limitations to using force and impulse measurements for football helmet safety?

While force and impulse measurements are important tools for evaluating helmet safety, they are not the only factors to consider. Other variables such as helmet design, fit, and padding also play a role in protecting against head injuries. Additionally, these measurements cannot account for individual factors such as player technique or head position during a collision.

5. How can the data from force and impulse measurements be used to improve football helmet safety?

By analyzing force and impulse data, scientists and helmet manufacturers can identify areas of improvement for helmet design and make adjustments to better protect against head injuries. This data can also be used to inform rule changes and regulations in the sport to reduce the risk of high-impact collisions.