Modeling Object Motion in a Viscous Liquid: mg - kv = m(dv/dt)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the force equation for an object's motion through a viscous liquid. The resistive force is assumed to be directed upward as kv, while the downward direction is taken as positive and the up as negative. The question arises as to whether the force equation should be mg - kv = m(dv/dt) or mg - kv = m(-dv/dt), with confusion about the direction of acceleration. It is explained that the acceleration will be >= 0 and the sign of the obtained value will indicate the direction of acceleration. As long as the other quantities' directions are correct, it does not matter which sign is given for acceleration.
Pseudo Statistic
Hey,
I have this homework thing where I have to model an object's motion through a viscous liquid.
I'm to assume that the resistive force directed upward is kv.
Now, I'm going to take the downward direction as positive and the up as negative..
Should my force equation be mg - kv = m(dv/dt) or mg - kv = m(-dv/dt)?
This is confusing me because I know that the acceleration opposes the direction of motion, so should it be dv/dt or -dv/dt?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you know that the objecj is going to fall downwards, so the downwards acceleration will decrease as the drag increases up to the point where the drag is equal to the weight of the object. At which point the acceleration will be zero and the object has reached it's terminal velocity. So the acceleration will be >= 0. Usually when one solves such equations analytically, for say the acceleration, the sign of the obtained value will indicate in which direction the object is accelerating. If you put it in as -a in the equation and the solution gives a positve answer, then we know that the object is in the minus direction. If on the other hand the solution gives the acceleration a negative value, then we know that the acceleration is actually in the positive direction. So it doesn't matter which sign you give it (as long as you do not get the directions of the other quantities wrong thought, in which case you will be analysing a different physical situation!).

I would first like to commend you for taking the initiative to understand and clarify your homework assignment. It shows a strong understanding of the scientific process and a desire for accuracy.

To answer your question, the correct force equation in this scenario would be mg - kv = m(-dv/dt). This is because the resistive force, represented by kv, is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion, which is represented by -dv/dt. This is consistent with the concept of acceleration opposing the direction of motion.

It is also important to note that in this equation, the acceleration is represented by dv/dt, not just dv. This is because acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, and therefore must be represented as a derivative with respect to time (dt).

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and I encourage you to continue exploring and questioning scientific concepts. Keep up the good work!

1. What does the equation "mg - kv = m(dv/dt)" represent?

The equation represents the relationship between the forces acting on an object in a viscous liquid. "mg" represents the force of gravity, "kv" represents the force of viscous drag, and "m(dv/dt)" represents the object's mass times its acceleration.

2. How is the equation derived?

The equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to the mass of the object times its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the difference between the force of gravity and the force of viscous drag.

3. Can this equation be applied to any object in a viscous liquid?

Yes, this equation can be applied to any object in a viscous liquid as long as the object's motion can be described as linear and the forces acting on the object are only gravity and viscous drag.

4. How does the viscosity of the liquid affect the object's motion?

The viscosity of the liquid affects the object's motion by increasing the resistance to its movement. This means that the force of viscous drag (kv) will be greater in more viscous liquids, resulting in a slower acceleration and a lower terminal velocity for the object.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation to model object motion in a viscous liquid?

Yes, there are some limitations to using this equation. It assumes that the object's motion is linear and that the forces of gravity and viscous drag are the only significant forces acting on the object. It also does not take into account any other factors that may affect the object's motion, such as turbulence or non-uniform viscosity in the liquid.