1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force & Motion

1. Jun 22, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A box of ant aunts (total mass m1 = 2.11 kg) and a box of ant uncles (total mass m2 = 3.88 kg) slide down an inclined plane while attached by a massless rod parallel to the plane. The angle of incline is θ = 29°. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the aunt box and the incline is μ1 = 0.293; that between the uncle box and the incline is μ2 = 0.129. Compute (a) the tension in the rod and (b) the common acceleration of the two boxes.

The attempt at a solution

I drew it all out on my paper and I am trying to set up two systems, however I'm having a lot of trouble trying to set them up. Could someone help me set up this problem. I don't want the answer I just need someone to help push me in the right direction.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Before looking at each system, you might want to first look at the system, which accelerates together, as a whole.

4. Jun 22, 2008 #3
    For the acceleration how to I account for the friction on both boxes? Add them together?

5. Jun 22, 2008 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

6. Jun 22, 2008 #5
    I'm still confused as to how to even set this up. Should I find N and then find fk and from that find acceleration?

7. Jun 22, 2008 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yes, find N for each and fk for each. What other forces act on the system besides friction? You've got to first identify all of them acting parallel to the incline before determining the acceleration down the plane..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?