Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force needed to bend beam

1. Dec 15, 2014 #1
    HELP! how to calc the force needed to bend this fixed beam channel by 4mm at 'F'http://www.engineersedge.com/engineering-forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1254&stc=1

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear from the attached sketch what the dimensions of the channel are, what the length of the channel is, the location of the applied force, or if the channel is fixed at one end only or at both ends. Without additional information, advice can't be given.

4. Dec 15, 2014 #3
    Also, what the material is.

5. Dec 16, 2014 #4
    Hi All,
    thanks for feed back. I am after a formula to find what force (F) the beam can withstand before plastic deformation and what force (F) caused it to bend by 4 mm.
    It's a fully FIXRED beam fixed both ends, the difficulty for me is that its not a normal square beam it's a channel section. attached is a better drawing but its the formulas i'm really after.

Attached Files:

6. Dec 16, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's worse than that, I'm afraid.

The beam has a structural discontinuity at mid span with that notch in both flanges. You can't apply the regular beam formulas because they are derived assuming that the beam is continuous between supports with constant section properties. You can analyze this beam to determine the deflection and the stress, but it's more than just plugging numbers into a formula.

7. Dec 16, 2014 #6
    Are you looking for an order of magnitude estimate or something better? I think you need a numerical simulation to calculate it reasonably accurately. It's pretty involved. You are missing the dimensions of the notch in the drawing.

I'm guessing I could bend it by stepping on it in the center with both ends supported, but that's just a gut feeling

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook