1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force needed to cause a trunk to slide down an inclined plane w/ constant velocity.

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "You push a 325-N trunk up a 20.0 degree inclined plane at a constant velocity by exerting a 211-N force parallel to the plane's surface."

What force must be exerted on said trunk so that it would slide down the plane with a constant velocity? In which direction should the force be exerted?

2. Relevant equations
    W=mg
    Fnet= ma

I'm not really sure about this section.

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a free body diagram with the known forces that are acting on the object (the Normal--perpendicular to the inclined plane, and the weight straight down). I also drew in the supposed pushing force and the opposing frictional force. I aligned the diagram on a coordinate plane so that all forces lie on an axis EXCEPT the weight.

I resolved the weight:

Wx= 325cos70
    Wy= 325sin70

And found the coeff. of friction:

sum of all forces y-axis:
    Fnet= N + Wy
    Fnet= N-Wy
    Fnet= 0

sum of all forces x-axis:
    Fnet= Pushing force + Ff + Wx
    Fnet= Fp + Wx - Ff
    ma= Fp + Wx -Ff
    (velocity is constant--> there is no acceleration):
    0= Fp + Wx - Ff
    0= 211 - (325cos70) - Ff
    Ff= approximately 100 N, the coeff of friction is thus approximately .3278

I am totally stuck now, though on how to find the force needed to cause the trunk to slide down the plane with constant velocity. . . .

And I might have done something wrong above. :( Please help!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2
    Re: Force needed to cause a trunk to slide down an inclined plane w/ constant velocit

1) Why is Fnet = Fp + Wx - Ff? Both Wx and Ff oppose to the Fp.

2) Also about the new force. Imagine that you want to get a box down of a hill. In order it comes down sweet how you need to act? Also the Constant velocity is the key point here. Also think that the velocity must be Opposite of the pushing up part. That means here you have Wx opposing to the Frictional force? Which of those is greater? If you consider that Fnet x=0 you understand the where this force acts and you can find its magnitude.

Hope I helped..

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    Re: Force needed to cause a trunk to slide down an inclined plane w/ constant velocit

Hi, thank you so much for replying!

I actually figured it out. . .hahaha. . .shouldn't have been so quick to post.
    Your post helped me make sure I did it correctly. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook