1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force normal to plate

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the figure showed a jet of water , with velocity 50m/s strikes the flat plate , which is inclined 30 degree to the jet . Find the force normal to the surface of jet.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    my question is the flat plate is 30 degree to the horizontal axis ? or vertical axis ? i'm consfuing

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It doesn't matter. It is only asking about the force resulting from the deflection of the stream of water. Which way gravity acts is of no consequence.

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3
    My ans would be different, the formula given is rho(A)(v^2)cos theta , where theta is the velocity normal to the plate , if the angle 30 is from horizontal axis, then my theta would be 60, am I right??

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4
    Here

Attached Files:

6. Apr 6, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh, you only meant vertical and horizontal with respect to the way you drew the diagram.
    So what you are really asking is what does it mean to say the plate is at 30 degrees to the jet. I agree it's not crystal clear, but I would take it to mean that the normal to the plate is at 60 degrees to the path of the jet.

7. Apr 6, 2016 #6
    So my idea that theta=60 is correct?

8. Apr 6, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As in your second attachment, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted