Convert .130 kg to Newtons: Is Gravity Relevant?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the force required to push a small model car on a frictionless surface. The formula F = m x a is mentioned, with the mass and acceleration of the car given. It is then discussed how to convert the mass to Newtons and whether gravity is relevant to the equation. The concept of coefficient of static friction is brought up and its relationship to normal force and the formula F = m x a is explained. The conversation also touches on the use of the metric system and the difficulty in calculating the coefficient of static friction without conducting experiments.
redsox5
If I have a small model car and use a spring scale to measure the force, my reading is .130 kg. How do convert that to Newtons? Is gravity relevant to this equation?

I know that F = m x a

the mass of the car is .387 kg
is the accerleration the acceleration of the car or gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
To get Newtons multiply the mass in Kg by g, the acceleration due to gravity, 9.81 [itex] \frac m {s^2} [/itex]

now how do you calculate the amount of force it would take to push that car

Is that a test?

summerzhuling said:
Is that a test?

who are you asking

noagname said:
now how do you calculate the amount of force it would take to push that car

I don't know if this is a question of your own or what. But any case:
On a frictionless surface any amount of force would move the car. Now when you introduce friction You would have to take into account the coeff. of static friction and normal force (weight of car in Newtons).

I am just an 8th grader that likes physics
and I want to know if a car weighs 10 pounds then how much force is need to push it to a speed

I see. Well I am just a senior in high school that has loved physics since about 5th grade. Nice to meet you. Any who. Before we start about how much force there are some concepts that need to be understood. First is coefficient of static friction. Do not let it scare you.

Basically have you ever pushed a huge heavy box and it won't budge you would say well this is because there is too much friction. Right? But if you push hard enough it would move. This can be measured and recorded as what we call coeff. of static friction.

Now this value can be more than 1 or less than one, the lower the better. The formula for how much force is required to overcome friction is F= Normal Force * Coff. Friction

What is normal fore? You might know one of Newton's laws, for every force there is an equal and opposite force. Well when you sit in a chair the chair exerts the same force upwards and you stay still. So if you have a 10 pound car, the ground will exert 10 lbs of force upwards so your normal force is 10 lbs.

Force normal = Mass * 9.81 m/s^2. I got the 9.81 from the acceleration of gravity.

This is a lot to understand but you can always re-ask me for specific questions.

Then from that You can subtract your frictional force from pushing force then use
Force = mass * acceleration to find the acceleration of the object.

Also for further note use metric system, its better.

jdogg0075 said:
I see. Well I am just a senior in high school that has loved physics since about 5th grade. Nice to meet you. Any who.

Then from that You can subtract your frictional force from pushing force then use
Force = mass * acceleration to find the acceleration of the object.

Also for further note use metric system, its better.
nice to meet you to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_friction
i have looked at this and i am confused
how do you calculate the coefficient of static friction
in your formula
f= normal force * coff. Friction
f means force right
and last is well you last 2 or 3 sentences i don't understand
i can understand f=ma(we learned this in school)
but i think i am going back to my main question and that is
how do i calculate how much force it would take to push , move, speed up and more

By how to calculate the coefficient of static friction I am guessing you want to calculate this.
The formula really should say Frictional force = coff. friction * normal force. Bacially coff. of friction has to be measured through experiments.

Let me give you an example of how to calculate acceleration form a situation.

Lets say for example i wanted to find the acceleration of a car that is 1000 kg when I am applying a force of 2000 Newtons and the car has a coff. of .18 with the ground. First i want to find the force i have to apply to overcome friction. To do this i use Frictional force = coff. * normal force.

Frictional force = .18 * (9.8*1000) Frictional force = 1764 N So basically to even get this car to move from rest i have to apply a force greater than 1764 N. I am applying 2000 N. If I am pushing in one direction and the frictional force is opposing that. I would have to subtract the two so 2000-1764=236 N in my pushing direction.

Now using this force i can find the acceleration of the car with F= Mass * Acceleration
So i set it up 236 = 1000 * A
A= .236 m/s^2

Then there are formulas to go from there to find out velocity and other stuff. You can look around for that.

Hope this helps. : )

thanks that was a lot of help

jdogg0075 said:
By how to calculate the coefficient of static friction I am guessing you want to calculate this.
The formula really should say Frictional force = coff. friction * normal force. Bacially coff. of friction has to be measured through experiments.

what type of experiments

Well to find the coeff. of static friction you have to either know hey steel has a coeff. of .12 or somthing. Or you have conduct an experiment where you have a known mass on the surface. and like a pulley with a string conected to a weight. You keep adding weight until the body moves and then you can find the coff. of kinetic friction. This is all unnessecary things unless you really want to.

ok
i haven't look online but is there some website that wood tell us what the coeff. of static friction was

Im sure there is somewhere. Id search the surface you are using. I personally don't know any.

What is the formula for converting kilograms to Newtons?

The formula for converting kilograms to Newtons is N = kg * 9.8, where N represents Newtons and kg represents kilograms. This formula takes into account the force of gravity, which is typically 9.8 meters per second squared.

Why is gravity relevant when converting kilograms to Newtons?

Gravity is relevant when converting kilograms to Newtons because it is a fundamental force in the universe that affects the weight of objects. The force of gravity is what causes objects to fall towards the Earth and is a crucial factor in converting mass (kg) to force (N).

How does the force of gravity affect the conversion of kilograms to Newtons?

The force of gravity affects the conversion of kilograms to Newtons because it is the force that gives weight to objects. Without gravity, objects would have no weight and the concept of converting mass to force would not be applicable.

Is the force of gravity constant when converting kilograms to Newtons?

Yes, the force of gravity is considered constant when converting kilograms to Newtons. This is because the value of 9.8 meters per second squared is the average acceleration due to gravity on Earth and is used as a standard value in most calculations.

Are there other factors that may affect the conversion of kilograms to Newtons besides gravity?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the conversion of kilograms to Newtons besides gravity. These factors include altitude, latitude, and the shape and composition of the Earth. However, these factors have a minimal impact on the conversion and are typically not considered in most calculations.