Calculate Force of Electric Dipole Moment

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the magnitude of the force due to an electric dipole moment on an electron located a certain distance away from the center of the dipole. The conversation includes discussions about the dipole axis, deriving the formula for the on-axis field, and calculating the force on the electron. The conversation also mentions the possibility of electronic systems being picky about the terms used in the calculation.
Gale
mk here's the Q

Calculate the magnitude of the force, due to an electric dipole moment 3.76e-29 C.m, on an electron 2.23e-8 m from the center of the dipole, along the dipole axis. Assume that this distance is large relative to the dipole's charge separation.

Ok, i have a feeling this is a really easy problem, but I've like gone retarded and i can't do any physics it seems right now. So, first problem, i didn't understand what the center of the dipole was or the dipole axis. as in, halfway between the two charges, or when they're lined up the line that connects them, extended. I tried both to no avail... probably cause i wasn't sure what to do from there either. I tried just Kq/r^2, but i didn't know q, so i tried solving for q, but i know i did that wrong, because my equations weren't right. which i decided didn't matter cause i figured i was doing it wrong and that i should binomial expansion. But i realized i didn't actually understand how i was supposed to use it. So, I'm just stuck, i have no idea how to even start right. So some guidance in the right direction would be great, thanks...

~gale~

Physics news on Phys.org
The dipole axis is the line joining the two charges. You need to find the field of a dipole along that axis. You can either look it up or derive it. To derive it, just use the field from each charge (call them q and -q) separated by distance d (thus the dipole moment is p = qd). So the net field would be:
[tex]E = kq(\frac{1}{(r-d/2)^2} - \frac{1}{(r+d/2)^2})[/tex]
I'll leave it to you to simplify this. (It's not hard.)

Last edited:
i actually did get that far. and i use binomial expansion, um, reduce and i guess what i get is 2kqd/r^3 kd=p=3.76e-29
so i get 2kp/r^3 plug in p=3.76e-29 and r=2.23e-8
and it doesn't work, so i did something wrong. help!

That's the correct formula for the on-axis field from a dipole. Did you then calculate the force on the electron? What makes you think you did something wrong?

because i submitted the answer and it was wrong.
ok i realize this sounds stupid, but I'm getting tired, how am i supposed to be calculating the force on the electron?

So far, all we've done is calculate the field ([itex]E = 2kp/r^3[/itex]). Now you must use the field to calculate the force: [itex]F = Eq_e[/itex].

right right, i knew that sorry. i got there, but i don't know q... so then what? I'm really tired now, if I'm asking too much, you can stop answering me, i feel like my brains turned off anyways.

Gale17 said:
because i submitted the answer and it was wrong.
ok i realize this sounds stupid, but I'm getting tired, how am i supposed to be calculating the force on the electron?
did you submit it through some electronic system? Some of these systems can be very picky about the terms you use.

for example

they may want the equation in terms of [tex] \epsilon_0 [/tex] instead of k, so your equation becomes

[tex] \frac{qd}{2 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3} [/tex]

...just a thought

Last edited:
Of course you know q... it's an electron. What's the charge on an electron? (Look it up!) :smile:

Doc Al said:
Of course you know q... it's an electron. What's the charge on an electron? (Look it up!) :smile:

UUUUGH, Jeeze I'm tired, and you its electronic, and its super picky... ugh
thank you!

1. What is the formula for calculating the force of an electric dipole moment?

The formula for calculating the force of an electric dipole moment is F = pE sin(theta), where F is the force, p is the magnitude of the electric dipole moment, E is the electric field strength, and theta is the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field.

2. How do you determine the direction of the force on an electric dipole moment?

The direction of the force on an electric dipole moment is determined by the right hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the electric field and your fingers in the direction of the dipole moment. The force will act in the direction perpendicular to both the electric field and the dipole moment.

3. Can the force on an electric dipole moment be zero?

Yes, the force on an electric dipole moment can be zero if the dipole moment is aligned with the electric field or if the dipole moment is perpendicular to the electric field.

4. How does the magnitude of the electric dipole moment affect the force?

The magnitude of the electric dipole moment directly affects the force. As the magnitude of the dipole moment increases, the force also increases.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating the force of an electric dipole moment?

Understanding the force on an electric dipole moment is important in many areas of science, including electrostatics, molecular physics, and even biology. This knowledge is used in fields such as designing electronic devices, studying molecular interactions, and understanding the behavior of charged particles in biological systems.