What is the impact force of a falling object?

In summary, Kris, who runs an Emergency Services and Rescue Unit, posed a question about the weight and force exerted on safety ropes in emergency situations. After receiving various responses and explanations, it was determined that the force applied to the rope would depend on the time interval and that safety gear is designed to minimize the force by spreading it out over a longer period of time. The force could potentially be very high if the rope had no stretch, and it is important to follow the specifications and safe working limits of the gear.
Paliadon
Okay, I run an Emergency Services and Rescue Unit and was asked a very interesting question regarding our Roof Top Safety gear. A question I couldn't answer last night and I am desperate to find the correct answer.

The question posed was as follows:

How heavy would I weigh if I fell from a height of 3 meters and I weighed 95 kilograms (on Earth)?

If anyone could help out by putting up a forumla and the law that applies to it, it wold be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Kris

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mass of 95kg would never change.

Your weight 95*g also wouldn't change over such a small difference.

Is your question more along the lines of "how much force would I impart on safety ropes (or gear) if I fell from that height and it caught me?"?

Hello Jared and yes, I was wondering what force is exacted onto the ropes and the like. Moreso I suppose my question is will the force that is applied to the rope exceed the SWL?

It all depends on how quickly the ropes or whatever bring you to a stop. The shorter the time interval, the larger the force required. Consider bungee-jumping off a bridge. The bungee cord brings you to a stop gradually as it stretches, and you don't feel much force. If you replace the bungee cord with an ordinary rope, you come to a stop very quickly at the bottom (assuming the rope doesn't break!), and you definitely feel it! (and probably break a few bones, too)

Well we could estimate a final speed you'd be traveling at after that height, but as per jtbell, it all comes down to how quickly the rope stops you.

We could assume the rope provides an instant stop (not a good idea because you enter the grounds of "short drop and a quick stop", potential hangman territory) and tell you the maxiimum force possible. If that's what you want? But again, if you want rope specifics there's a bit more detail to it.

Wow, so much to digest. lol I thought there was going to be a lot of stuff. Okay, so for arguments sake, let's say the rope is a static line with no stretch (sudden stop) what sort of force would be applied then? The second part to it would be what if that rope had the ability to stretch 18%?

Paliadon said:
Wow, so much to digest. lol I thought there was going to be a lot of stuff. Okay, so for arguments sake, let's say the rope is a static line with no stretch (sudden stop) what sort of force would be applied then? The second part to it would be what if that rope had the ability to stretch 18%?

Your safety gear probably has specifications how much it can take.
I have to admit that I have never taken a look at such specifications, but perhaps you have those specifications?

Either way, I'm going to make an educated guess.

The safety gear would not so much take a force, but an impulse.
The impulse taken, is the difference between the momentum of your body before and after your fall.

When you fall a certain distance, your body has a certain speed.
Your momentum is the mass of your body multiplied by your speed.
In this case the momentum is given by the formula:

[tex]p = m v = m \sqrt(20 h)[/tex]

where p is the momentum, m is the mass of your body, v is the speed of your body, and h is the height from which you are falling.

In your example we would have:

[tex]p = 95 kg \cdot \sqrt( 20 \frac m {s^2} \cdot 3 m ) = 736 \frac {kg \cdot m} {s}[/tex]

Your safety gear would be designed to take this momentum and reduce it to zero.
To do this it exerts a force over a period of time.
The longer the time is to do this, the less force is needed to break your fall.
This is the heart of all safety gear, including seat belts, airbags and such.
They are designed to spread the time of impact over as large a period of time as possible.

The relation is given by the formula:

[tex]F_{average} = \frac p t[/tex]

where F is the exerted force, p is again the momentum of your body, and t is the time during which your fall is broken.

If this time is for instance 1 second, this would mean the average force on your body is 736 N, which corresponds to the weight of a mass of 73.6 kg.
Since the real weight of your body is also carried, the total average force would be 950 N + 736 N = 1686 N, or the equivalent of 168.6 kg.

To get back to your question, a static line with no stretch (sudden stop) would give you a time t that is very, very short. This would imply that the force on your body becomes very great indeed, and might break your back.

I wouldn't be able to say how much force a line that would stretch 18% would give. For that I would need more information.
The best thing would be a specification of your safety gear that says for instance how much impulse or momentum it can take, or perhaps it gives some other set of parameters?

Thank you for your most informative reply., and yes to answer your question in relation to specifications on the rope, it does give safe working limit, but this only refers to the weight that can be applied to it gradually, not the weight if it is shock loaded. Thanks once again, but that pretty much clears up my question.

Cheers

Kris

1. What is the force of a falling object?

The force of a falling object is the product of the mass of the object and the acceleration due to gravity. This is known as the formula for force, F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How is the force of a falling object related to its mass?

The force of a falling object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of the object increases, the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground also increases.

3. Does the height of the fall affect the force of a falling object?

Yes, the height of the fall does affect the force of a falling object. As the object falls from a higher height, it gains more potential energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy as it falls. This results in a greater force upon impact with the ground.

4. Is the force of a falling object affected by air resistance?

Yes, the force of a falling object is affected by air resistance. As an object falls, it encounters air resistance which opposes its motion. This can reduce the force of the object's impact with the ground.

5. How does the force of a falling object change over time?

The force of a falling object remains constant as long as there is no air resistance. However, as the object falls, its velocity increases due to the acceleration of gravity. This results in a greater force upon impact with the ground.