Force of acceleration physics homework

In summary, a 40 N force accelerates a 5 kg block at 6 m/s^2 on a horizontal surface. The frictional force is 10 N and the coefficient of friction is unknown. For a horizontal force of 30N applied to a 12 kg wooden crate at a constant velocity, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor can be found using Newton's second law and breaking it into horizontal and vertical components. The acceleration in the horizontal direction is 0 and the frictional force is equal to the applied force. The frictional force points to the left in this scenario.
jai6638
a force of 40 N accerlerates a 5 kg block at 6 m/s^2 along a horizontal surface..

a) how large is the frictoinal force?
b) what is the coefficient of friction?

For Ans A, how would i find frictional force... 40N-5x6 = 10 N??

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
also here's another question... If you use a horizontal force of 30N to slide a 12 kg wooden crate across a flood at a cnostant velocity, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor?

i can't seem to use MA=Fapp - Ff
i.e. ma = fpp - ukmg sice i don't have the value of a...

set up a FBD for the block
Use Newton's second Law for both horizontal and vertical directions
[tex]\vec{F} = m\vec{a} [/tex]
They give the acceleration in the horizontal direction... what is the accel. in the vertical direction??
What are all the forces acting on the block?
The equation for the force of friction is
[tex]\vec{F}_f = \mu_kN[/tex]
where [itex]\mu_k[/itex] is the coefficient of friction and [itex]N[/itex] is the Normal force
your answer for part A is correct
show your work for more help

Last edited:
jai6638 said:
also here's another question... If you use a horizontal force of 30N to slide a 12 kg wooden crate across a flood at a cnostant velocity, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor?

i can't seem to use MA=Fapp - Ff
i.e. ma = fpp - ukmg sice i don't have the value of a...
The definition of acceleration is
[tex]\vec{a} = \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt} [/tex]
ie: the change in velocity wrt time.
here they give you that the velocity is constant so that should tell you what the acceleration is. :smile:

damn... this must be a bad day or somethin... I am just blank! these questoins seemed easy to me the first time i did it a few weeks ago but now the night before my exam... i just can't seem to do them..

F= MA
F/M=a

therefore , A= 30/12. = 2.5 m/s^2

am i correct?

The NET force = ma. The NET force is the sum of all the forces, in this case, friction and the applied force. MathStudent gave you what you need. acceleration is defined as the CHANGE in velocity over a period of time. Now, in the problem you are told that the velocity is CONSTANT. What does that make the acceleration?

jai6638 said:
damn... this must be a bad day or somethin... I am just blank! these questoins seemed easy to me the first time i did it a few weeks ago but now the night before my exam... i just can't seem to do them..

F= MA
F/M=a

am i correct?
Not quite... I gave you a big hint in the previous post
-for one you need to draw a Free Body Diagram (FBD) for the crate
- identify All the forces acting on the crate

-Then you need to break Newton's second law into vertical and horizontal components... do this and show your work (list the forces along with their directions don't try to draw the FBD) and I'll help you further.

as for the acceleration.. you need to realize that Newtons 2nd law equates the NET force (the sum of all forces) ...you forgot about one

- since the velocity is CONSTANT that means that its not changing wrt time in the horizontal direction so the acceleration would be 0 right?

jai6638 said:

F= MA
F/M=a

am i correct?

It's is at a CONSTANT VELOCITY. Therefore the acceleration is = ...

have a 12 kg crate...with 30 N force vector pointing toward right.. then Normal Force vector pointing upword and Force due to gravity pointing downwards...

ALso, just for my information, if there is constant velocity is Ffrictoin = F applied?

jai6638 said:
have a 12 kg crate...with 30 N force vector pointing toward right.. then Normal Force vector pointing upword and Force due to gravity pointing downwards...

ALso, just for my information, if there is constant velocity is Ffrictoin = F applied?
Don't forget about the friction force... what direction does it point in?

In this case yes since
[tex]\Sigma\vec{F}_x = \vec{F}_h +\vec{F}_f[/tex]
[tex]m\vec{a} = 12*0 [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \vec{F}_h +\vec{F}_f = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \vec{F}_h = -\vec{F}_f [/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow F_f = -F_h [/tex]

Last edited:
Frictoinal force points to the left...

I gave you an example of using Newtons 2nd law for the horizontal components ... why don't you try it now for the vertical components...
keep in mind what your trying to solve for

Last edited:
i don't mean to sound like an ass but i still don't get it... /me bangs his head on the wall! ! ! ! !

im going to sleep since i am not accomplishing much by stayin awake as all the answers/equations are goin above my head .. makes me wonder if I am fit for becoming an engineer... doh anyways... thanks for ur help though.. appreciate it :)

1. What is the formula for calculating force of acceleration?

The formula for calculating force of acceleration is F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. How is force of acceleration related to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Force of acceleration is directly related to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, the greater the force of acceleration, the greater the acceleration of the object.

3. Can force of acceleration be negative?

Yes, force of acceleration can be negative. A negative force of acceleration indicates that the object is decelerating (slowing down) in the direction of the force.

4. How does the direction of force affect acceleration?

The direction of force affects acceleration in that the direction of the force and the direction of the resulting acceleration are always the same. This is known as the principle of action and reaction, or Newton's Third Law of Motion.

5. What units are used to measure force of acceleration?

The SI unit for force of acceleration is Newtons (N). Other commonly used units include kilogram-force (kgf) and pound-force (lbf).