How to Calculate Force of Atoms Using the Yukawa-Type Potential Energy Function?

In summary: Now, what is your question?In summary, the Yukawa-type potential energy function is used to calculate the interaction between a pair of neutrons in an atomic nucleus. The force can be found by taking the derivative of the potential energy function and plugging in the values for r. The correct derivative is found using the product rule and the resulting values for the force at r=a and r=3a are 2452.52 N and 73.7587 N, respectively.
mopar969
The Yukawa-type potential energy function for the interaction of a particular pair of neutrons in an atomic nucleus is U(r) = -(a/r)U(sub o) (e^(-r/a)) where U(sub o) = 5 x 10^(-12) J and a = 1.5 x10^(-15) m. Find the force as a function of r, then evaluate the force for r=a and r=3a.

To get force I took Force = -du/dr and got -a(r^-2)(U(subo))(e^(-r/a)). Then I plugged a in for r in the derivative and got -3333.33(e^(-1)). Then I plugged 3a in for r in the derivative and got -0.37037(e^(3)). Is my approach to this problem correct and are my answers correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The approach is right but you must have a mistake in that derivative. It is a product of a/r and e^(-r/a) so you must use the product rule to differentiate and you'll end up with two terms (f'g + fg') in the answer.

Thanks for Identifying that error, please check my new work and answers:
The derivative is ((2a)/(r^2))(Usub o)(e^(-r/a))+(-a/r)(Usub o)((-2(r^2))/a)(e^(-r/a))). When I plugged in a for r I got 2452.53. When I plugged in 3a for r I got 36.8793.

We aren't quite in agreement on that derivative. In the interest of clarity, forget the constant -a*Uo in front. The rest is
U = r^-1*e^(-r/a)
U = f*g where f = r^-1, g = e^(-r/a)
f ' = -r^-2 g' = -1/a*e^(-r/a)
dU/dr = f 'g + fg'
= -r^-2*e^(-r/a) + r^-1*(-1)/a*e^(-r/a)
=
In particular, your second term has r^1 while mine has r^-1.

When I plugged in a for r I got 2452.52 N. When I plugged in 3a for r I got 73.7587. Are these new numbers correct?

Yes, I get the same two numbers.

Thank you a lot for all the help.

Most welcome.

1. What is the force of an atom?

The force of an atom refers to the attractive or repulsive force between the positively charged protons in the nucleus and the negatively charged electrons in orbit around it. This force is responsible for holding the atom together and determining its physical and chemical properties.

2. How is the force of an atom calculated?

The force of an atom can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In the case of an atom, the force is usually calculated between the nucleus and the outermost electron.

3. Does the force of an atom change?

Yes, the force of an atom can change depending on the number of protons and electrons present in the atom. It also changes when the distance between the nucleus and the electrons changes, such as during chemical reactions or when an external force is applied.

4. How does the force of an atom affect its behavior?

The force of an atom affects its behavior by determining its stability, reactivity, and physical properties. Atoms with stronger forces, such as those with high nuclear charges and tightly bound electrons, are more stable and less reactive. On the other hand, atoms with weaker forces are more likely to participate in chemical reactions and form compounds.

5. Can the force of an atom be manipulated?

Yes, the force of an atom can be manipulated through various methods such as applying external forces, changing the number of protons or electrons, or altering the distance between the nucleus and the electrons. This can be done in controlled environments, such as in particle accelerators, for scientific research and practical applications.