Calculating Force of Attraction: A HS Student's Guide

In summary: It is 6.67 x 10-11 N.m2kg-2.In summary, the conversation is about a student looking for a tutorial on how to find the force of attraction for an assignment. The teacher has given a formula and the student is having difficulty understanding it. The student is also unsure of the units to use for the calculation. The expert advises the student to plug in the given numbers in the formula, but also clarifies that the "g" in the formula stands for Newton's Gravitational Constant, which is 6.67 x 10-11 N.m2kg-2.
honeybunchpie
im looking for a tutorial about an assignment and its says find the force of attraction but i can't understand them.
here is the problem:
the teacher gave us this formula f=g x m1 x m2 /d 2(squared)
g=9.8 m/s2(squared)
m1=1000 kg
m2=2000 kg
d= 2m
im looking for the force attraction how should i do it?
Also what unit should i use for this. Thanks a lot

Just a freshman in HS so its my first time encountering p6. so please help me please.

Physics news on Phys.org
honeybunchpie said:
im looking for a tutorial about an assignment and its says find the force of attraction but i can't understand them.
here is the problem:
the teacher gave us this formula f=g x m1 x m2 /d 2(squared)
g=9.8 m/s2(squared)
m1=1000 kg
m2=2000 kg
d= 2m
im looking for the force attraction how should i do it?
Also what unit should i use for this. Thanks a lot

Just a freshman in HS so its my first time encountering p6. so please help me please.
Hello again :smile:

You have everything you need there. All you have to do it plug in the numbers in the correct place.

HOWEVER, the g in the formula isn't the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m.s-2) as you have. The g stands for Newton's Gravitational Constant and is usually given the symbol G.

1. How do I calculate the force of attraction between two objects?

The force of attraction between two objects can be calculated using the equation F = (G*m1*m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects in kilograms, and r is the distance between the two objects in meters.

2. What is the gravitational constant and why is it important?

The gravitational constant, denoted by the letter G, is a fundamental physical constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is important because it allows us to calculate the force of attraction between any two objects in the universe.

3. Can the force of attraction be negative?

No, the force of attraction between two objects cannot be negative. It is always a positive value and represents the strength of the pull between the two objects.

4. How does the distance between two objects affect the force of attraction?

The force of attraction between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of attraction between them decreases.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating the force of attraction?

Calculating the force of attraction is important in many fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering. It helps us understand the motion of celestial bodies, the behavior of objects in orbit, and the design of structures that can withstand gravitational forces.