Force of Bar on Wall: Calculating Inward Pressure

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Wall
In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a physics problem involving the tension and weight of a bar and its components in an inclined position. The conversation discusses different methods of solving the problem, including breaking up the components into forces parallel and perpendicular to the incline and using Newton's first law. The correct solution is determined to be 18,000 N, and the student expresses gratitude for the help.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

How hard does the beam push inward on the wall?
yg.10.79.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the tension on the cable is 1.32*10^4 N

From there I turned the weight and tension into x/y components and tried to add the x components, so that:
1.32*10^4cos(40) + 14700sin(30) = 17461.79 N

I don't understand why this is not correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what is the weight and length of the bar?

Sorry, the bar is 8m long, and 1500kg.

There are no z components, only x an y components. The weight has a y component only. The tension force has x and y components. The force of the wall on the bar has x and y components. Use Newton 1 in the x and y directions to solve for the x and y components of the wall force on the bar. Your tension force is correct.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Jay,

That z component was a typo, I meant to say x-component.

I believe I did what you described above. I got the reaction force as shown in this image:
(increasing x is down an left)
35hlfue.jpg

What exactly am I doing incorrectly?

The reaction force at the wall is not directed parallel to the bar...that only occurs for 2 force members , like the cable. You'll have to include the componets perpendicular to the bar also. You also do not have to break up the components into forces parallel and perpendicular to the incline, although that is acceptable. But you can also look at just x and y (horiz and vert) components.

The bar presses on the wall at an angle (30° to the horizontal). Some of the force is directed downward (pushing the wall down into the ground), some is directed "inward".

Like this?
nb2osp.jpg

This solution of 13000 N is also incorrect.

I'm not sure what you mean by breaking it up into components perpendicular to the bar. I didn't think that I could use torque to find the force for this question.

Alternatively, 17461.8cos(30), my original reaction force that was angled to the wall, resolved into it's x component, produces 15122.36?

QuarkCharmer said:
Like this?
nb2osp.jpg

This solution of 13000 N is also incorrect.
that's the x component.. Now look in the y direction to get the y component.
I'm not sure what you mean by breaking it up into components perpendicular to the bar.
that is what you did in your post 5. It is not necessary to do it this way.
Alternatively, 17461.8cos(30), my original reaction force that was angled to the wall, resolved into it's x component, produces 15122.36?
No, that is the wrong way to do it. Your x component is now corrrect; solve for the y component in a similar manner using Newton 1.

Okay, so:
[tex]mg-R_{y}-Tsin(80)=0[/tex]
[tex]R_{y} =mg-Tsin(80)[/tex]
[tex]R_{y} =1500(9.8)-(1.32*10^{4})sin(80)[/tex]
[tex]R_{y} = 1700.54[/tex]

So now my Y component is: 1700 N, and my x is 13000 N. Do they want the sum of the two for this "inward" force from the bar on the wall? It's not simply the x component as I initially thought.

Thanks.

That should be T sin 10 for the vert comp of the tension force. Then once you correctly solve for Ry, you have to add them up vectorially (not algebraically) to get the total force at the wall, using Pythagoras.

I get 17970.9 N from the vector sum of the two. Does that seem right? Now I need to go back and re-analyze how I am approaching these problems. I have no problems with torque and such, but this one, idk what my problem is. Thank you all for the help.

Yes, 18,000 N.

These problems are generally all analyzed the same way...sum of forces in x direction, sum of forces in y direction, and sum of torques about any point, all = 0.

1. What is the force of bar on a wall?

The force of bar on a wall is the amount of pressure exerted by a bar against a wall. It is calculated by multiplying the length of the bar by the force applied to it.

2. How is the inward pressure of a bar on a wall calculated?

The inward pressure of a bar on a wall is calculated by dividing the force applied to the bar by the area of the wall that the bar is in contact with. This can also be represented by the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

3. What factors affect the force of a bar on a wall?

The force of a bar on a wall is affected by several factors, including the length and thickness of the bar, the material of the bar and the wall, and the angle at which the bar is applied against the wall.

4. Why is it important to calculate the force of bar on a wall?

Calculating the force of bar on a wall is important because it helps engineers and architects determine the structural integrity of a building or structure. It also ensures that the materials and design used can withstand the pressure and forces exerted by the bar.

5. How is the inward pressure of a bar on a wall used in practical applications?

The inward pressure of a bar on a wall is used in many practical applications, such as in construction, engineering, and architecture. It helps determine the appropriate materials and design for structures, as well as the necessary support and reinforcement needed to withstand the forces exerted by the bar.